Optimist AutoCad

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vives, Apr 10, 2016.

1. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I quite like the Optimst. It's just brilliant for young kids to learn in, gives them confidence and they enjoy it. BTW it can't be hard to model or draw if you have the measurement form or plans btw.
    There's a big difference betwen the knockabout roto moulded trainers and the full on racing ones though......;) How many other classes get 300+ entries for their Nationals in the UK?
    Trouble is I like classes that were meant to be home build as they allow a lot of 'tweaking'....

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

A few years ago built a mold from which about 25 Optimists were built for two kids sailing programs. These boats met the International Optimist rules but I would not bother with the OI group again because of the ridiculous tolerances that the OI requires. +/- 2mm is just silly and was deliberately done to discourage wooden boats being built and raced by home builders.

I think plans for the original Optimist Pram are still available from the Cleveland Amateur Boatbuilding Society here... http://www.cabbs.org/pages/Optimist_Pram.htm

The CABBS is an old group dedicated to home builders and the plans they offer will result in a great little boat that is enjoyed by entry level kids everywhere. Modelling and software is over the top and completely superfluous for these boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.