Optimal number of turns of steering wheel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BTG YACHT DSGN, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

http://www.edsonmarine.com/ecatalogs/sail/00006.htm

Years ago we worked with Edson to design and build some of the first custom two speed steerers. The idea is to have high gear (fewer turns) for nice weather sailing and harbour maneuvering, and low gear when it's rough (blowing) and helm loads are higher. This system enables one normal guy (with a big wheel) to hand steer a 130' sloop with a partially balanced rudder. This gives the sailor typical small boat feedback instead of a mushy no feel hydraulic system.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

if a helmsman , while maneuvering in reverse under pouring rain with numb hands, momentarily loses grip of the steering wheel on a big mechanically steered sailing yacht , damage will happen. Bent rudder stops or broken helmsman's arms. Iv often wondered why a simple damper or rotation limiter couldn't be installed that can be activated when the vessel is in reverse.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

On a big yacht like that you would think he would be able to afford some gloves

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Gloves wouldn't help, as it's a torque issue, not a grip consideration. I experience this on my 37' double ender in reverse. I'm just aware of it and take little bites, based on throttle position.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

He said his hands were numb from cold-- Gloves would fix that.

My hands slip from sweat and sun tan lotion.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I just press buttons on the autopilot - So what is your problem? - My wheel does not rotate whilst the autopilot is working but is still functional and the autopilot quickly corrects back to the pre-set bearing, - a brief dodge... When the autopilot is off I have about 3.7 turns lock to lock and the rudder goes to about 30 degrees port or starboard - When manoeuvring in close quarters, I leave the rudders "midships" and steer by the throttles... All too bloody easy...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.