One man fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mountain man, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Mountain man

Mountain man Junior Member

Thudpucker - I saw the pram and It looked like a short version of my dads old fishing boat. It was a 14' Springbok, very narrow and very unstable. Or am I mistaken, how stable is a pram? The reason I have been thinking pontoons is that they have a reputation of being more stable than a mono hull.

Lewisboat - Yes I know hardboard would dissolve, I worked in a furniture factory that used particle board several years. I know how particle board "explodes" when it gets wet. It was mentioned a few posts back that I could use cardboard to build my boat. I would water proof the hardboard or any other wood the same way.

Thanks

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I think we are talking about two different prams.
    Mine was short wide and squatty.
    Sometimes got water in it, but is was the whole sheet wide in the middle and narrower at the ends.
    I'd never put anything beyond a trolling motor on it.
    It Rowed so easily. I rowed it for miles at a time. :) (I still row, but now I have an aluminum, and soon will have a wooden rowing Jon)

This boat was not Marine plywood. Just 1/4" plywood and some hardwood pieces at the corners and where the bottom/sides met. Square and tapered up at the front and squared off at the aft end. Plenty stable if you didn't get up and dance in it.

You can Bet Lewis boat's can draw you one up in a few minutes.

3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

I've had the opposite experience when going to small personal fishing craft, preferring the pontoon design for its many advantages. Nothing can be made so compact, stable, light, dry and comfortable- 30# completely oufitted and can go almost anywhere a backpack can, even while inflated or for the foam models. http://www.4seasonsfly.com/11939/234630/Float-Tubes/Outcast-Discovery-Trekker.html Float tubes rigged to keep your butt and feet dry while underway are even smaller- can go to 6# or so, and I got one of these for $99 sale price awhile back. I travel on vacation with the pontoon checked as airline baggage to explore rivers all over the country. Both can be rigged to be propelled by fins, oars, or a tiny motor. http://www.electricpaddle.com/ Entry/exit is much easier (no hopping over an edge, balancing, pushing off, or special boat ramp like conditions needed at the edge of water) compared to a pram and there's no backless, hard seat as standard, plus your feet don't marinate in muddy water you track in (self bailing). The shelter part cannot be done, but they make up for less room with easily accessible fishing bags that can organize tackle in their various sections.

JMHO, hope this helps.

Porta

4. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Porta I met with a bunch of guys in AK that had the Tubes and Toons. :)

One guy was working on making his a back pack Toon model.
    His idea was to make all the links snappable and the toons would stand upright on each side of the 'Pack' part which had the saddle and stirrups.

I thought is was a pretty cool idea myself.
    Some Toon makers have models for Ultra-lite aircraft so they can carry a lot of weight and withstand some shocks.

I am still sticking to my roomy comforts :)

5. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I've almost finished the wood bits of my boat. After the remaining curved sections are attached to the boat, tomorrow, I will only have to close it in and glass it. There were 80 feet of coves in the interior of this boat!! enough to make something much bigger. Which I had had some core to work with. Won't be long now!.

Those with sharp eyes will notice I already glassed the strips on the outside. I didn't like doing it, but I am building this boat all over the place and there is a strong possibility the parts would have pretzelled if I hadn't done it. In general, it is better to do all the glassing at one time, it makes it easier to flow it out nicely.

Attached Files:

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Reminds me of my place...is that a fieldstone wall?

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

"There's just nothing I can do with my Dungeon to make it look like a real Boat building shop!"

It looks pretty un-redecoratable dont it? I'd lose my patience having to move a bunch of stuff to get to something I wanted that was buried behind a bunch of projects already completed.

8. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

A couple of thoughts:

Do you already have a canoe or kayak? It's a lot easier to attach a couple of floats to one for stability than it is to build from scratch, it will be easier to move on water or on land, and your life won't depend on the quality of your work.

Are there power boats on your "fishing hole" and how far do you have to travel on water? Small human-powered cats with unsophisticated hull designs can take a lot of energy to move any distance, and wakes from power boats can be a challenge.

How will you get your boat to the waterside?

9. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

This is the 18th century, or probably more likely 1820s basement of the "farm". I am within 30 yards of a lake 25 miles by 3 miles connects tot he atlantic, and 200 yards of a large fish filled pond. There are a lot of other projects going on simultaniously. I have another shop that is more modern, and stuffed with the best tools, unfortunately it is 1000 miles west of here.

"Do you already have a canoe or kayak?"

Did my first sea kayaking in the 70s, and still have one. Next boat is going to be fredom hawk for fishing, it will be home made also.

" It's a lot easier to attach a couple of floats to one for stability than it is to build from scratch,"

Been designing canoes and kayaks since before most of the current crop were born. :)

"it will be easier to move on water or on land,"

Actually I hate moving kayaks...

" and your life won't depend on the quality of your work."

Your life always depends on the quality of your work, but less philosophically, I would take my work over most others any time. It's custom made, wood epoxy is foofproof, and longer lasting than glass or rotomolded. Nothing I have ever built including from when I didn't know what I was doing has ever been a problem.

"Are there power boats on your "fishing hole" and how far do you have to travel on water? Small human-powered cats with unsophisticated hull designs can take a lot of energy to move any distance, and wakes from power boats can be a challenge."

My unit isn't all that portable, it is really designed for a range of near the car ponds, and has a nostalgia component as mentioned.

"How will you get your boat to the waterside?"

Toss it out the door. :) It seems at this point like it will carry under one arm, and be easier to move than a light canoe, but not much. It also fits into a pickup, since it is 42 x 66. Many of the other kickboats come appart into pieces. Float tube still rules for weight. The compromise in this design was around the portability, otherwise it would have more displacement in the floats, and the seat area wouldn't drag.

10. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Here is a pic for those of you who are worrying about my comute. :)

Also, keep in mind that the original Water Wagon and many of the recent kickboats, have a provision for a motor.

Attached Files:

11. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Very nice location ThomD. You are lucky to be so close to the water. Makes my 5 minute car-top run look like a long haul :)

Since MountainMan hails from Calgary I assume you are not co-resident, and my questions were really intended for him, as the thread originator.

12. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I thought probably it was, but that never stops me! :) You are actually quite close to my winter home which is in Pickering.

13. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

That is an interesting craft. Full of storage for sure.
    You guys are so spoiled. I live 9 miles to the close lake, and 15 to the big lake.
    That makes sure you buy licenses for the Truck, trailer and boat.

14. Mountain man

Mountain man Junior Member

ancient kayaker - No I do not have a canoe or kayak, other wise I would attach additional floats for stability, like you said.
    Yes, there are power boats on the water. But where I am fishing there is a bridge that forces them to slow down. (see picture) Most of the boats that come to the north side of the bridge are there for the fishing. So wake is minimal but is still a concern. Boats that are cruising stay far to the south side of the bridge and are also minimal concern. If one of them came under the bridge on plane; could loose there Bimini top, and would have several anchors (and a few choice words) thrown at them on their way back.
    My distance on the water is about 100-200m one way. If I wanted to go further I would get myself a little trolling motor.
    I am building my boat in 3 parts that I will able to strap to the roof of my car for the hour and a half drive into the country side.

lewisboats - I plan to water proof the hardboard.

ThomD - Is foofproof like foolproof?

Attached Files:

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Mountain man,

I was born in your home town and moved to Victoria 20 years ago.

In my opinion, you should buy a $300 Solstice from West Marine.

They come with two paddles, oar locks and a bow line.

It's got everything you're looking for and more.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.