old wooden boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by urisvan, Nov 17, 2009.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Link does´nt open. But thank you Richard! I looked up the name and found a author of sailing books.

Hmm, seems I was right to assume a seasoned sailor! Who has maststeps? Only the old salts. And look at the stern gear.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The fairytale preached by a loving owner (above) should be taken with a grain of salt or in this case the whole salt shaker.

No owner will give you a reliably honest assessment of the boats condition, mostly because they just don't have the skills, but also because they want to sell the thing they love.

Your original premise was can it be a yacht with minimum problems. I suggested (as well as others) any 50 year old yacht should be suspect.

You clearly have made up your mind to buy this boat, in spite of sound advise. Buying into the love song of a caring owner (or talented salesman) isn't wise. Have the boat accessed professionally, but frankly, if you want reasonably care free yachting, this isn't the boat for you, though the pictures do look nice.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Paul,
    be sure he will not buy that boat without a thorough inspection. He did´nt with the other object too. (the firewood)

5. PAR

I'm just having trouble getting past the minimum bother requirement. A 20 year old 'glass production yacht in need of some upgrades can be had for a song and will likely not leave him wondering if the bilge pump can keep up, when he goes to sleep each night.

6. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

7. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

thanks PAR,
    of course, i don't buy anything without a proper assessment.
    did you mean fiberglass boat needs less care?

regards
    ulas

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

He is offline Ulas.

Off course that is what he meant.

But if we can manage to get more info about this one (maybe I have one in Marmaris), it MAYBE worth a look.

And why a new thread on sheathing?

Regards
    Richard

9. PAR

As far as dealing with a leaking, rotting wooden hulls, yes, 'glass hulls are less trouble as they age. This isn't to say you can't own an old wooden yacht, I have several, but I know what I'm in for.

Wooden boats can't tolerate neglect for very long and unfortunately, most folks neglect the crap out of their boats. They don't fix things until it falls off or doesn't work any more. Routine maintenance is a joke and 'glass boats can tolerate this treatment much better then wooden ones.

Of course much of yacht ownership has nothing to do with what the hull is made from. Systems also suffer from neglect, but not as much as anything wooden. One over riding factor in the last half of a century, has been the slow reduction of yacht care and maintenance. It's to the point now, where an owner shows up once or twice a year and expects the engine to start right up and the boat not to deteriorate. When they're new you can get away with this, but not with 50 year old wooden boats.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

PAR,
    You are certainly correct when you say that all wooden boats should be thoroughly inspected before purchasing them.
    But I do hope you will back off just a bit from saying that if the owner of a 50 year old wooden boat says that his boat has no rot he is lying. A recent acquaintence of mine has an 82 year old wooden boat that is in outstanding condition and it is very close to all original; only a board or two has ever been replaced.
    I also recall reading about a west coast tug that was built entirely of port orford cedar with the exception of the bulwark caps and guards. It was a vessel of about 100 feet loa. On its 100th birthday it was hauled and thoroughly inspected and the only thing they found to replace was three bulwark stanchions and a few bulwark planks. These were the first port orford cedar parts that had ever needed to be replaced. The haulout was in 1993 if I recall correctly.
    So every once in a while........

11. PAR

Of course there are rare exceptions to every rule . . .

. . . but I come back to this and wonder why anyone would consider a 50 year old yacht.

12. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Im glad to see that it is not a carvel planked boat,a strip planked ,glued hull if it was epoxy glass sheathed from new is as much a homogenous structure as a glass boat and just may be in good shape.I can sure see where Par is coming from but damn,i hope it passes survey,it is so much more handsome than pretty much any glass boat you will find within your budget,i keep going back to the photos and looking at the sheerline and the trunk cabin,very pretty.Its a good thing(for me) that its not in the US.I really like the 60s vintage english boats,any idea who the designer is,maybe kim hollman?
    Steve.

13. PAR

Arthur Robb like if you ask me.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Right Steve,

being a strip planked boat she MIGHT have less issues than a classical woody. Unfortunately she is NOT built in epoxy and sheathed with glass when built. But only a thorough inspection will tell us.

I understand, and fully concur with, PAR´s comments, but I have seen older woodies in perfect condition.
    If she was in permanent useage I think she might be even a better buy than a GRP boat of similar age.

15. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

hi apex,
    it will be great if you can contact with your friend and ask him to look at the boat.
    lets talk it on saturday

cheers
    ulas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.