Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Ladi

Ladi New Member

Dear all,

I see you share my passion for Quarter tonners and I would like to kindly invite you all to join our iniciative for revival of QT class in Adriatic region. Many QT boats are lying around in Italy, Croatia and Slovenia and many of them are racing nowadays.

We started the iniciative with the idea to exchange knowledge, photos, news, photos etc and to try to revive the QT racing scene as already suscessfully done in UK and Holand. We have won their full support and helping hand in this beautiful quest.

Basic idea is to organise QT regattas 2-3 times per year where all the QT boats and fans would enjoy the history and competitiveness of this fantastic boats.

I'm also owner of the H800 "Mana" (based on Jezequel's JEZ116), lying in Portorose

You can find us in our Facebook group "Quarter tonner Adriatic". Already 50+ member of the group today so interest is awsome!

Kind regards to all of you and I hope that you will join and spread the words amongst the QT boat owners and fans

Ladi Zivic
    Pronautica@siol.net

2. Wizza Wise

Wizza Wise The Madman

Madman's Woodyard

Hi CT, having read quite a few of your posts, you seem to be a font of knowledge, so I was wondering if you could please tell me the name of the builder of Madman's Woodyard and an address or contact number please. Thank you.

3. phum

phum Junior Member

RE. Madmans Woodyard, The name Craig Colson springs to mind.
    The Syndicate has been in QLD many years now and is used most weekends. It is a variation of the Beach Inspector, wider in the stern and a flatter run. I dont know much of its early history, everybody knows of it but nothing about it. The designer? doesn't recognise it as one of his

4. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

Hi Wizza.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the builder off-hand. I think it was one of the original owners who sailed her in the Brisbane-Gladstone, but the on-line historical results of that race have recently vanished from the web. They may go up again later, so perhaps you could keep an eye on the QCYC site?

Have you got the boat? She's a good old girl!

5. Wizza Wise

Wizza Wise The Madman

Hi CT,
    Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Yes, bought The Woodyard and have given her the original name of Madman's Woodyard. There's a bit of history attached to her original name as you are no doubt aware. Bought her on April 15th. and have been busy working on her in the Bellerive Yacht Club marina ever since.The realisation of a 53 year old childhood dream of owning a boat. Yes, she's a beautiful boat. Wanted to contact her builder and compliment him and let him know she will be looked after and enjoyed.
    Cheers,
    Wizza.

6. tullospaul

tullospaul Junior Member

for those of you who don't know, Magic Bus, the original subject of this thread was found in the oakland area & purchased by the whiting family. the boat has been shipped back to new zealand & is being refurbished. i believe there is a magic bus facebook page. a fitting end to this thread? i'll turn out the lights.

Attached Files:

7. siler

siler Junior Member

In 1979 a US team sailed the Quarter Ton Worlds in San Remo with a Mohnhaupt-Rode design called PARADE (US-25). The boat is sailing in the Netherlands since 2000. I would like to know more about the history. Anyone?

More info about the boat can be found on www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q The Itch.htm
    More info about 1/4 ton boats (lots of pictures!) can be found on www.facebook.com/kwarttonzeilers

UPDATE 27/10: Spoke to the designer Axel Mohnhaupt yesterday. He told me that Roy Cundiff sailed the boat at the 1979 Worlds. I spoke to Roy once about his win at the 1978 Worlds in Japan where he skipperd the Yamaha 24 1/4 tonner 'Magician V'. According to Roy 'Parade' was a fine boat although somewhat conservative with a fixed, ballasted keel. Very fast downwind. A protest in one race and poor navigation put the team out of the running...

8. MYD

MYD Junior Member

C'est si Bon

Hi

Enclosed you see a picture of 1/4 tonner C'est si Bon in her heydays.
    She is getting close to the scrap bin so if you want to save her give me a sign.
    I have to many boats in the shed.
    She is a daggerboard boat with internal ballast. Skins in vinylester/Airex core so still sound and a good base for restoration, either to original config or modified to fit IRC.

Hasse

Attached Files:

9. tullospaul

tullospaul Junior Member

I wish you were in the u.s.

10. MYD

MYD Junior Member

C'est si Bon

She was no 9 and her sistership sailed by the designer, Peter Norlin was no 3 at QTC 1977

11. neris

neris Junior Member

Any idea what price they are looking for her?

12. neris

neris Junior Member

was mention of mini tons a few years back. heres 2 going in for some work and small mods for next european summer. (sorry about the quality of the pic)

[​IMG]

13. tullospaul

tullospaul Junior Member

for those of you who don't know, Magic Bus, the original subject of this thread was found in the oakland area & purchased by the whiting family. the boat has been shipped back to new zealand & is being refurbished. there is a magic bus facebook page.

14. warwick

warwick Senior Member

15. NickArya

NickArya Junior Member

I have just spent a couple of days reading all the posts - super interesting. However for my first post and being computer illiterate I hope I have it right. This post is a bit off subject but prior posts mention the Jim Young Rockets. In the mid eighties the Rocket 31's Positive Touch and Chameleon were launched. Positive Touch was raced a fair bit and I remember racing her when I was sailing on the Young Eleven "Big Ruby" which was as far as I know the first glass one. The rumour mill had it she was built as a cruiser with a heavier (young eleven?) keel. Fast forward to 2001 and I bought Chameleon. She was fast, very stable and well balanced. I once sailed in a ver light breeze by myself and put the kite up without any steering aids. Chameleon just tracked along with a minimum of helm correction. I see she is now for sale in Nelson under the name Oldsmobile - their is a story behind that name. A couple of years later I bought the Rocket 780 Wild South. A wonderful sailing machine exciting as hell in a breeze and ver point upwind in the light. WS was a wreck with a huge cabin on her. I took to her with a chainsaw, built a very large cockpit of construction ply and my daughter painted her in lurid graphics (remember the Clearasil ads and you get the picture) using acrylic(!?!?) paint red on the starboard side and green on port - confused the hell out of the opposition. Both Rockets were simply superb to sail.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.