old mould

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by maudlawes, Jun 29, 2014.

1. maudlawes

maudlawes New Member

is it possable to regell a dodgey old mould have found a nice shaped one but it is a bit worn,i know i can repair the bad bits,but can the whole lot be coated with somthing ,thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, you can re-gelcoat a mold. The key to success is to de-wax it thoroughly to get good adhesion.

3. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

it can be done but there will be a lot of sanding and wet flatting to get it nice and flat again ready for polishing.

i restored an old mould couple years a go but i used duratec paints to resurface it.

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I will verify Garry's post, having seen the old mould. It served it's purpose and gave him a new 'plug' with his work on the old mould. Allowed a new and good mould to be made off the new 'plug'.

Any of the epoxy or polyester paints should allow this, with maybe a little filling and fairing along with hard work!.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.