Old boat, new life.....

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by missinginaction, Aug 13, 2007.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Thanks for the tips Alan. It's fun to get into some harbors and look at boats. I haven't been to Bar Harbor since 1993, but I'm sure you're right about it being a zoo.

One of the inconveniences of being a retiree with a young son is the school calender. For the next ten years we're kinda stuck vacationing during "prime time". As it is we pull him out of school during the winter for a week or so down south. I refuse to deal with flying during school break time! I think he might learn more in those few days than he does in school anyway.

The good thing abut having a young son is that you rarely get stuck shopping with your wife! If she wants to shop we drop her off and then go do something that the guys like....maybe fishing, or looking at boats!

MIA

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Floors need attention

Hi Folks,

Well, after a few days in Boston and two days in Acadia National Park I made it down to my old Silverton to continue the exploration of the stringers and floors. The floor at the forward end of the engine compartment is completely deteriorated (as I suspected) between the engine stringers. PAR, you rightly mentioned that this would be the case since this part of the floor is located in the lowest part of the bilge. I did discover a good technique for getting the heavy roven woving off. I used a utility knife and a heat gun. A few minutes with the heat gun softened up the fiberglass. It was then easy to cut with the utility knife and simply pull away with a pair of pliers. You need to be aware of what you are doing, but this technique sped up the removal of the old fiberglass greatly.

After some reflection while in Maine I'm pretty much convinced that the most practical course of action is (as usual) not the easiest. After doing research in this and other forums on this site, it appears the most reasonable course of action is to pull the engine and properly address the stringers/floors as well as the engine mounts/beds. My research shows that the engine was installed in accordance with generally acceptable techniques. I'm not crazy about the mild steel angle aron but it's been in there for 34 years so once again the Silverton people may have saved money without a serious compromise in quality. Had this been a salt water boat I think that this would have been a problem.. I'm going to post in the engine forum as well to see if someone there might have some input on removing the engine, transmission and drive.

The first photo details the forward engine mounts from above. The second photo details the starboard engine mounts from below. The aft mount is closest to the camera, the forward mount can be seen in the center of the photo and is higher than the aft mount.

As always any suggestions or comments are always appreciated.

Note at Alan White: I never was able to make it to Brooklin and you were right about Bar Harbor being a zoo. Beautiful area though, somday I'll have to go back and see it from the water without my mother in law in tow!

Thanks, MIA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007