OK its got nothing to do with boating, lost dog

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTS225

GTS225 Junior Member

Well, maybe Fate, or Karma is telling you something. There's a saying in the old car crowd that goes "You don't find cars or parts......they find you." Maybe that's what's going on in this case.

Roger

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Settled right in didn't he? If you're nice he might let you sleep on his bed once in a while.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well he didn't make it though the night but at least he hit the newspapers I put down for him over on the concrete. I got him all his shots yesterday and had him chipped. Even if he isn't perfectly house trained ( he should have woke me up if he had to go all that bad. ) I think he's still a keeper. If the owners step forward at this point, there going to owe me some vet bills.

anyway yah, he did kinda move right in but I'm ok with it, took a while but I suppose he can stay.

oh, and the vet heard me saying he didn't eat dog food and busted out a can of something, he ate it, later I read a review of the stuff which says it tends to give them the shits, perfect. so maybe it was just a switch of foods thing, no telling, but I"m going to switch him really slowly to include at least some form of dog food into his diet. Right now he's eating cubed steak and chicken cooked rare, not served to hot. Kinda living the life of a king over here actually.

cheers
    B

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

He'll have you trained in no time at all . . .

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You have already lost Bos. Man up to it and buy some dog steroids. ( for the dog) Muscle him out a bit.

7. PAR

Yep, Stan has it about right, you're screwed . . . I have a bunch of dogs, all found their way here on their own, except one which we took from a tenant that couldn't handle it. Of course they'd all think that thing of yours, is a new, cute little squeak toy and try to "pop" it.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well there is something to be said for walking up to a restaurant, two or three idiot dogs parked outside, walking in dog in hand, sitting him in a bar stool, plunking down next to him. and having him curl up and sleep throughout dinner. Didn't beg, didn't utter so much as a sound. Got down once ( which was an error but not a very big one ) but I put him right back and he stayed perfectly from then on. I'm thinking I'll get a green jacket for him so I can sneak him everywhere if he's going to be this well behaved in public places. Deal is I'm really starting to warm up to this dog. He's so well mannered its crazy. Never heard a bark out of him yet. Follows me like a newborn duckling. Heals beautifully on or off the leash. Responds to a stronger voice if his attention wanders. He's just bloody perfect, and whats not perfect he makes up for in try. Your right, I'm screwed. Going to consult with a few trainers about keeping him on track. I'm thinking he's better at this than I am and I'm going to have to improve my game in order to do him justice. I figured after a few days he'd revert to an idiot Pekingese, but he's only getting better as we develop a routine. I take him pretty much everywhere with me and he's just not screwing anything up. does what you tell him to do faster and faster with each passing day, its really impressive. Anyway I mutinied on the vets "feed him this stuff" advice and going to stick to using that stuff only as a supplement. Maybe a spoonful a day and the rest his usual.

Deal is you guys said it and I didn't want to believe it, I'm screwed, Little guy pretty much dictated a change in routine that would allow him to exist here most smoothly. At this point if his owners show up they owe me vet bills and supplies. But it's not likely they show up, odd are getting less and less with each passing day.

Anyway I'm still waffling a little but kinda looks like he's got a home. Dam dog, I was not looking for a pet till I had everything set and ready for one.

Friend of mine today said something like "you weren't looking for a dog, but the dog dam sure was looking for you. Can't remember who it was but I think he pretty much nailed it. Stopped into the pizzeria on the way home from the restaurant and got the dog a piece of bacon for being cool.

cheers
    B

9. PAR

There are several dog "personalities", much like people, alphas, submissive, defiance/strong willed, etc. The one I like best is probably the one this little thing has. This is the "want to please" personality. A lot of dogs have this and they make the best pets. They'll do anything you ask and usually learn what you want very quickly. They also tend to be more emotional, so be careful as they can become "clingy" or what we call Velcro dogs. By being careful I mean he can take great offense if he's made a mistake and you yell at him. I have a couple of dogs like this, with one more easily upset then then other. Junior will actually give himself a time out, if he's done something he knows isn't right! He'll march down to his room (the middle bathroom) and plop down on his bed, waiting to be forgiven for something I might not know about. This is how bad they don't want to offend me. I can count the number of times he's screwed up on one hand in his 9 years of life.

Following you around is normal for a new dog, you're all he has and he likes you. An abandoned dog will do this, fearing he might become "on his own" again if he loses sight of you. He'll eventually figure out he's got a new home and master and this behavior will relax.

Dogs are a lot smarter then we give them credit for. An average dog can understand about 300 human words, which is as good as a 4 year old child. A smart dog can improve this to 500 which places them in the scary smart category, as a first grader would be challenged to muster this level of understanding. When you couple this with their ability to literally smell your every mood and condition, they are actually fairly formidable.

Dogs are very routine oriented. They like thing to happen the same way every time. Some dogs adapt to change better then others, but all prefer to have things the same at it was previously (most animals are like this). Something as simple as moving the furniture around can really screw with their head, so make sure to feed and walk them at a regular time each day.

Lastly, dogs can tell time. Yep, they actually can sense when the sun went down, when it comes up and how an event the day before compares to an experience they've "clued" in on. This is how they know you're about to come home from work, you did the day before and the sun was in about the same location . . . We have a friend that brings her 3 dogs over every other week, so they can run on our property. She's got a little city lot and we've got country land. They also enjoy playing with our dogs. Our dogs know precisely which Saturday morning they're coming over on. They dance and jump and know damn right well Bo, Kalie and Drake will be over today.

One other thing, dogs eat things we wouldn't touch, like puke and cat ****. They're not idiots, they're after the protein, which is heavy in a cat's diet and likely not digested in a some fresh puke. They don't smell the cat ****, they smell the protein, which is like waving a perfectly cooked steak in front of a human.

You'll learn, he'll have you accepting his kisses, just after he farted and licked his butt clean, in no time at all, you sucker . . .

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You are going to end up with a bad dog , he has already claimed your bed, look at his face thats mine he says.

Don't you watch the dog whisperer.

Never let a dog on your bed. Looks like a bit of Labrador in there and they are smart.

This is going to end in tears, and a bit of blood too I don't doubt.

You still got that gun?---load it!

11. PAR

With a little garlic, some pepper, roasted 'till about 160 - 180 degrees . . .

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well yah should have seen him heel perfectly from the car into the bank, sit, stay and follow in the bank and then back to the car. No leash. Little guys a huge hit wherever he goes. Never makes a sound either. I might have misunderstood the ending in tears part but if his owners came back now they'd owe me bills and care, feeding him eggs and bacon in the morning these days, loves venison, slams buffalo. Dog has good taste. Basically I'm keeping track of what the little spud costs me just in case a legitimate claim does come forward.

Anyway he's not any trouble so I guess I'm keeping him.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It will end in tears; about 12 years from now.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok home made dog food went over pretty well, now to see if he holds it down, or in, if you know what I mean. I went about 25% new stuff to 75% stuff he's used to. I made enough for five days, then I'll increase the veggies and rice again for the next week. after that its costing me about $10~12 a week to feed him.

chicken beef bacon ( the nitrite and preservative free stuff of course ) chicken livers, rice pees carrots Lima beans corn. I went small with the veggies and rice cause thats the stuff he's not used to. One of the kids makes her own food for her dogs ans so I'm going to gradually ween him onto her recipe so when he's over there she can safely feed him.

cheers
    B

[​IMG]

has the goofiest habit of sleeping on his back

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Me too!

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.