Ok complete change of plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....going....going....gone....Boston has taken the bait, may he RIP.......

you could do a lot worse mate....enjoy your new baby while you can.

2. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Sounds like a plan. Being a bit hogged it probably needs to be refastened at least below the waterline. I can just picture you laying on a cot with the boat about two feet above you dead asleep with a cordless drill laying on your chest.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Looks like you found the one! ? ! ? ! ?

But we thought that already twenty times.

She will not roll your heart and soul out when you install some waterballast up high. That has to be drained in heavy weather, but will substantially reduce her motion.

Regards
    Richard

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thanks guys
    and ya its taken me forever to find something that really struck a cord and was at a descent price

[​IMG]

this shot is the one that leads me to believe that transom needs some serious work
    the planking aft looks like its got some bad color to it as well and what I thought was a hog might just be a counter at the stern to keep her flat underway
    I'm not sure until I see the survey ( there is a recent one that someone did who was interested but opted out I guess ) but my bet is there is a lot of planking that needs redone and likely a few ribs as well

I can just picture having to replace both chine logs aft and some dead wood as well as a new drive line, but I'm jumping the gun until I get the survey. I could buy that old wreck of a Chris Craft I found for 400 bucks and see if the drive line out of that is any good although Mark did mention that the new drive shafts are really good and hardly leak at all.

also just off the top of my head I'm thinking of an independent battery bank dedicated to running lights and a back up bilge pump or two. seems like the lights would keep me posted on the health of the system and I'd feel better about a traditional plank hull if I knew I had a few extra pumps on board. I'd just have two wherever there was one now and run em on there own DC system.

The water tube ballast idea is one I had explored earlier so ya I think your right about it being the best solution, I could sorta hide it by making it look like it was a cradle for the jolly boat which I would want stored up high anyway. I'd add a short boom to the mast and rig it up to a winch. The water ballast could be held in the arms of the cradle. and you would never know it was a water tube system.

any idea on how to get this thing though the columbia bar cause thats probably the roughest part of my trip around to the passage, once I make it past that I think I could harbor hop my way up the coast to Ketchikan.

my head is spinning I need to focus on the survey and the repairs and then I can make whatever adjustments I need to

cheers
    B

can't wait to hear back from these folks

[​IMG]

almost looks like a box keel

its got an awesome interior

[​IMG]

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

An 8' to 10' deep skeg about 30' long will insure that you get through the bar OK. This craft looks very similar in design to your very first choice many, many posts ago. Glad you found what you always really wanted--now get to work. Stan

1 person likes this.
  6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Boston,
    Look at the old B&W pics. Can't see the hooked or hoged aft section in them. She may need her fasteners replaced so badly she just bent when supported so far fwd of the transom. A beautiful and classy boat but I'd be very very cautious about buying her. Do the bar when the tide and wind are in the same direction and the forecast is for light winds. Insure that your'e engine dosn't quit out there too.

Easy Rider

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

[​IMG]

ya I've been kinda stupid for this design ever since I saw one way back when

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if you look carefully you can see a few dark spots on the ceiling beams that are kinda worrisome. My bet is that deck leaks a bit and needs to be recalked and maybe a few boards replaced. I know I know easier said than done but still its not much different than me ripping the drain waist system out of the house this weekend and replacing it with ABS and proper vents. If I have time I might even tackle the new water heater, placed in a new location and start hooking up all this new coper I've been running. The old galvanized stuff is about done and now that I have a few bucks to spare I need to get after this place. Only thing I dread about replacing those deck beams is having to tear out perfectly good stuff getting to them. maybe I'll get creative and remove a plank or two and slip the new ones in from the outside :) That way the deck and interior can go untouched. Replacing planking is the easy part but ripping up the interior is senseless if I can figure out a better way to do it from the outside.

cheers
    B

ps
    hey Easy
    ya I was kinda thinking I'd just replace all the planking bellow the line and just have a fresh start from the get go. My thinking is that I could then get a good look at the frame and do what needs to be done there with a minimal of trouble, as if thats actually the case. I need it in a yard that will allow me to work on her, so getting it out of the water and up on blocks is the first order once I make a final decision. I need to hear back from these folks but the advert sounds a lot like get this thing outa hear. Make us an offer. they might not like my offer but I'm feeling like one is in the works

I could rent a ware house down by the water somewhere and work on her there assuming I can find one close enough. Around here warehouse space is dirt cheap and my bet is that Portland isn't much different.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

found another shot of her *** and its not looking to bad in this photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another consideration is whether or not anyone used polyurethane on it, stuff is a nightmare to get off and the underlying wood will never take oil properly once some fool used poly that and Poly doesn't allow wood to breath properly.

varnish I can deal with but polly is synonymous with ruin in my book

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Enjoy... Seems You may be rather busy for a while... Evenings on the net posting images of your progress... Living on board whilst on the hard...

1 person likes this.
  10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thats the plan assuming it passes muster

I'd get it up out of the water and then hang tight till I had all the stuff to go and fix it, wood fasteners paint calk time and a bunch of fun money to make up for the unexpected

Gods I hope its not been polyurethane
    not sure what fool would do that but it takes all kinds and that stuff is just the worst

speaking of passing muster the advert says its been around vancouver island four or five times but from what I can see its got a flat bottom and a box keel, not sure how well thats going to handle water of much intensity. Seems like I'm going to be relegated to making the occasional dash from safe haven to safe haven, that and watching the weather like a hawk

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nothing wrong with that sort of cruising. In fact inlets, rivers and canals cruising is at least as enjoyable as passages.
    On the open ocean you see what? Water, much water, and from time to time

more water.

Yes, Whales, Dolphins, flying fish, a turtle sometimes, a floating car, krill, sort of glow worm, the flying dutchman (renamed in KLM now), fluorescent water, logs, debris, the cristal clear sky at night, Aurora borealis in the high latitudes, all nice.
    But what is that compared with a full scale factory outlet, supermarkets, pubs and groceries every night?

Ähh,

no, I wanted to say, inland waterways are really attractive to travel and have in fact a lot of advantages, it must not always be the grand loop.

Regards
    Richard

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Boston, finally ! Nice looking interior, a bit too church like and the chairs too upright for me. Never took you for a stiff tho :D Lotsa brass and wood to pollish. Does this mean you'll be getting the buttler as well ? Ok how about the young she-buttler ?

Hope there's no PU either, stupid stuff.

She may be better in the bad than you think... but I'm sure you're going to tell us all about it. He he... just put the heavy stuff in the center of the hull below... :rolleyes:

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'd likely stick to the columbia river for a while until had some confidence to take on the ocean in her

no clue how bad off she is yet as still no reply and probably not going to be one till monday

someone had her surveyed and declined so I want to see that survey. I'll make a low ball offer if its all that bad and see what happens but I think I could get her for a song at this point

cheers
    B

say hows cypress as a planking material
    me thinxt I'd be replanking this tub entirely

oh
    I have kinda odd tastes, on the one hand I love utilitarian, on the other I like Rolls Royce as well. I'm not a neat nick by any means but my place is cleaner than most. I have a turn of the century hand carved solid cherry 6 piece bedroom set in mint condition that the appraiser gawked at like he'd seen a ghost, but I drive a POS 20 year old ford truck that I got for free dead out of a friends back yard.

go figure eh

14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Haida Princess was rebuilt in the late 70's by my friends Mike and Peggy O'Brien, she's featured in Ron McClure's book, Classic Wooden Yachts of the Northwest.

They spent 6 years of weekends restoring her, replacing 36 ribs, planks, the entire transom, and I imagine Mike put that Volvo in. Apparently her hull was built by Hoffar-Beeching in Vancouver and the first owner finished her off. She was originally a 15 knot cruiser (fast for the time) with a 6 cylinder Sterling gas engine....Thus the flat bottom aft.

The O'Brien's now own Euphemia (50') and he is head of the BC chapter of the http://classicyacht.org/node/36
    Classic Yacht Association......get in touch with him....

Her interior is very small and split up, but the bridge deck is wonderful.....wait for info on the "issues" before getting to caught up......

1 person likes this.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

some people just frighten me with there depth of knowledge

its like when your mindlessly sitting at a bar watching a baseball game and the guy next to you knows every stat and player that ever lived.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.