Offshore ability of sharpie design?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Seafarer24, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

It's got masts for sailing downwind, so I suspect the answer is "yes":

[​IMG]

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

C'mon. Nice concept, but that yes is a bit conditional. Like length to beam must be 2.5:1 or so, the cabin must be very high-crowned, and the mast must be half the conventional height. Otherwise, yes...

3. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Retirees want live-aboard boats with lots of space, comfortable motions in a seaway and at anchor, and boats that are fuel efficient and easily driven, with enough built-in safety to keep them out of serious trouble in case the weather picks up unexpectedly. So far I have never seen any other multihull designer claim to have designed a self-righting catamaran ... but if you know of others please tell me because I am interested in how they made their boats self-righting, too.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Was it the Gougeon brothers who built a narrow-beamed cat with a mast-top float and transferrable water ballast? I think it could self-right. Something like 30 ft long and an 8 ft beam? I forget. Solid concept though. And quite a bit faster than a sharpie (though I doubt as comfortable at the same length).

5. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

I never heard about this boat, but I will let you know if I can find anything about it online. Sounds interesting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.