Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

There are many, many, people you know, who could be excellent mathematicians, if they were interested.
    Music is math.
    And the same part of the brain, and same talent that enables someone to appreciate music, is used for mathematics. honest truth!
    I'm also a jazz drummer! :D
    And my wife plays alto sax. Jazz.
    If you don't know what the music is, it's probably Jazz!

A little latin Jazz to taste: Jazz guitarist Ottmar Liebert and his band 'Luna Negra; (Black Moon)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsJLxSms0Y&feature=player_detailpage&list=RDnwIz0G7vSp4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nwIz0G7vSp4

2. myark

myark Senior Member

In fact, it's possible that global sea levels would have fallen slightly, by up to 3 centimeters, during the past century, were it not for global warming, the study found.

http://mashable.com/2016/02/22/manmade-sea-level-rise-flooding/

Sea level rise is one of the most worrisome and visible ramifications of global warming. New research published on Monday shows the startling present-day impacts of global warming-related sea level rise. It also demonstrates the potential for the situation to get much, much worse if emissions of global warming pollutants are not curtailed.

The new research sheds light on just how unusual modern-day sea level rise is, and how climate change is sending the sea lapping up and over our walls and onto shoreline roads, homes and businesses.
    The first major report published Monday shows that human-caused climate change has prompted the fastest rate of sea level rise than any in at least the past 2,800 years. Even greater water rises are slated for the future as mountain glaciers and polar ice caps melt and ocean waters continue to heat up and expand.

The study confirms (again) the relationship between temperature and sea level, showing that the two are highly correlated, as are temperature and carbon dioxide levels.

Published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study used a global collection of sea level rise records that scientists have inferred from so-called "proxy" sources, like sediment drilling cores, coral records and other sources, that can help researchers detect historical sea level variations, but do not have the pinpoint accuracy of modern tide gauges. (The researchers relied on tide gauges for data for the post-1800 period.)

The study is the first to use so many regional sea level rise reconstructions, along with modern tide gauge data, plus other techniques, to identify the human fingerprint from about 3,000 years of sea level rise.

"There have been previous studies of former sea levels, but we were the first group to produce continuous global record of former sea levels," said study co-author Ben Horton of Rutgers University, in an email. "We have sites from the northern and southern hemisphere and we include proxy records from salt marsh, mangroves, corals, biological indicators and archeology."

The researchers, from institutions in the U.S., Europe and Asia, found that less than half of the observed sea level rise in the 20th century would have occurred without global warming.

In fact, it's possible that global sea levels would have fallen slightly, by up to 3 centimeters, during the past century, were it not for global warming, the study found.

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Solar cars might be impressive. But vegan diets are better for the planet

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/22/solar-cars-vegan-diets-climate-change

As a professional race car driver, I’m all too aware of the impact driving has on the planet. That’s why I don’t work with any fossil fuel companies and, since 2007, I have adopted an acre of rainforest for every race I run in order to offset the unavoidable emissions of my race car. But as much as that is making a difference, I know my vegan diet has an even greater impact on the planet.

Off track, I am proud to have now driven more than 33,000 miles in my electric car over the past couple of years and thanks to the solar panels on the roof of my house, I am driving on sunshine. I often drive my electric car to my races and my race car often carries messages about clean energy like wind and solar. Beyond just messaging, in July of 2014 my race team became the first in history to power our pit box using 100% solar power.

But cutting down on fossil fuel emissions alone is not enough to reduce one’s carbon footprint. Currently, one-third of all the arable land on the planet is being used to grow feed for livestock. Combined with the animals themselves, this means that the production of meat is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions. It results in more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector. Beef production for example, emits 150 times more greenhouse gasses than soy. It’s a little-known fact, hidden in large part by powerful corporate interests.

By including climate concerns in its guidelines, the department of agriculture had the opportunity to give Americans more information on how to accelerate the transition to a safer climate. Instead it chose to ignore those emissions, stalling out in the drive towards sustainability. If Americans don’t realize the environmental impact of their food choices because the USDA chooses not to include these factors, we all lose – the planet loses, our health as a nation loses, the billions of animals slaughtered for food lose with their lives.

Ironically though, it is my race car that gives me a voice as an environmentalist – it is at the racetrack where I have my biggest audience and where I am definitely not preaching to the choir. By bringing environmental messages to the racing world, I’m raising awareness on critical issues to that audience that isn’t otherwise engaged in discussions of climate change.

I hope Americans will not wait for the government to catch up and will educate themselves about their food and the impact it has on our planet.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Algo más: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=jFqtv8EaJRY

Gulf News:

Attached Files:

5. Yobarnacle

So the reason sea levels have risen only fraction of a millimeter, is because they were actually falling centimeters, except for AGw, so the man induced sea rise is measured in it's constancy of level rather than increase?

Ya'll are DESPERATE! Sea doesn't rise as you predicted. Temperatures haven't risen as you predicted. But CO2, that's risen plenty!
    AGW is busted!
    And totally unbelievable!

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Reality check, you are part of the 8% major minority who are not taken seriously :rolleyes: especially when you think there is a world wide Government conspiracy and that 97% of scientists are all dishonest and scammers or religion controls climate change. ;)

7. Yobarnacle

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07/18/what-else-did-the-97-of-scientists-say/

"On occasion when challenged about the 97% figure depending on 75 scientists from a survey of 10,000, it is usually met with a response that these were the experts in the field of climate science and this is what maters not the number that took part. "

Only the gullible listen to your false "97%" of scientists are AGWers soundbite.
    AGW reality checks bounce! Insist on cash, hard cold facts. :D

The majority of us know the "97%" is not true or relevant!
    Ya'll are unbelievable!

And sea level rise nothing to get your shorts in a wad over!
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/03/...-of-global-sea-level-over-the-past-100-years/

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I did read somewhere that a certain percentage of scientist used mind enhancing drugs to
    help their creative ideas???
    Perhaps this is where I have gone wrong.

9. Yobarnacle

Only drugs I use are nicotine and caffeine. Both stimulants.
    Drinking coffee all day and all night.
    Dark Roast Cuban Expresso is my blood type, frequent transfusions obligatory. :cool:
    And little cigars.

10. myark

myark Senior Member

The whatsupwith that is just a blog web site "by :About Anthony:"

Qoute
    I’m a former AMS certified (Seal 676 retired) television meteorologist who spent 25 years on the air and who also operates a weather technology and content business, as well as continues daily forecasting on radio, just for fun.:eek:

How every whatsupwith that still states yob is the 8% major minority ;) also like the poll yob had tried twist and turn the % by actually claiming he is the % that believes humans are equaling the cause of climate change also the consensus % is now trying to mislead and deceive with dishonesty that people do not believe in scientists, which is correct but still the majority say humans are or equally the cause of global warming and climate change.:) from common sense and do not need scientist to tell them about CO2 pollution and the global warming affect it has especially been told forcefully from a paranoid 8%er other wise.

Attached Files:

11. Yobarnacle

You keep accusing ME of misreading or twisting the poll? :p
    REALLY?
    The articles you didn't bother reading say, including Meteorologist Anthony Watts' (Would a highly educated "Weatherman" understand about climate?) wattsupwiththat.com :

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poll: 73% of Americans reject so-called AGW...
    wattsupwiththat.com/2016/01/06/poll-73-of-americans...

Jan 05, 2016 · Poll: 73% of Americans reject so-called AGW consensus (but you wouldn’t know it from the headline)
    Poll: 73% of Americans reject so-called AGW...
    usapartisan.com/2016/01/08/poll-73-of-americans-reject...

Poll: 73% of Americans reject so-called AGW consensus (but you wouldn’t know it from the headline) January 8, 2016 Guest post by David Middleton From The Hill…
    Poll: 73% of Americans reject AGW (but you...
    www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=11227&mn=31450&pt=...

Poll: 73% of Americans reject AGW (but you wouldn’t know it from the headline)
    regator.com/.../poll_73_of_americans_reject_agw_but_you

From: Watts Up With That?-- Guest post by David Middleton From The Hill… Poll: 70 percent believe in climate change By Timo..
    www.awakenedwire.com/poll-73-of-americans-reject-agw-but...

Guest post by David Middleton From The Hill… Poll: 70 percent believe in climate change By Timothy Cama – 01/05/16 10:41 AM EST A new survey finds that 70 percent ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A simple search for "73% reject" produces pages of these urls.

I think your obvious example, demonstrated in your post above, is among the MOST persuasive reasons for people to outright reject AGW as completely illogical!
    So, thanks! :D

12. myark

myark Senior Member

What the article says when read correctly is you are part of the 8% major minority and that 61% state humans or equally humans and natural changes in the environment that causes climate change, "Global warming"

You tried to claim the % rate by stating you are the "I do Not know" and the "Not sure" and "Not happening at all" but also claim equally humans and natural changes in the environment that causes climate change "Global warming and sea level rise"

That's down right dishonest, how ever it boils down to, you are a 8%er major minority radicle conspiracy theorist while cheery picking then shifting goal post when ever confronted each time with facts that you are not part of the majority USA citizens by a long shot.

13. Yobarnacle

"Jan 05, 2016 · Poll: 73% of Americans reject so-called AGW consensus"

Maybe you need glasses, but here! I'll make it large enough for you to read EZ!
    I sure the heck ain't in the 27% that BELIEVES in AGW!

AND THIS!

14. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

First the carbon-dioxide levels go up.
    Then the temperature goes up, lagging behind carbon-dioxide levels.
    Then the sea level goes up, lagging behind temperature.
    Then people start doing something about it, lagging behind common sense and reason.

We have to stop dragging our knuckles on these issues.

1 person likes this.

15. Yobarnacle

Except CO2 goes up and up, and temperatures and sea levels hover about the same level for almost 20 years now. Measuring in millimeter fractions (1 mm= 4/100ths of an inch) mere 100ths of an inch sea rise, and new recent record temperatures only a couple of 10ths of a degree F, warmer than the 5 year old former record, which was only 10ths warmer than a 10 year old record..
    Seems to me, common sense as well as UNBIASED scientific observation, says, "temperature and sea rise are NOT following CO2."
    It's understandable AGW believers WANT precipitous action before their whole failed hypothesis (of CO2 driving climate,) is recognized completely obviously false by even the most diehard alarmists!

Nope, wait and see is the wiser choice right now.