Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How can you call an assertion based on centuries of collected and cataloged data "unsupported"?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The link to the Atlas of Pilot Charts - the latest for the North Atlantic is only 1994

Probably the job of the boats has been taken over by satellite and remote sensors since then.

3. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

The article that I posted said (among other things) that in some places ocean surface temperatures have risen as much as 3-5C from 1870, and in other places it has fallen 2-3C from 1870.

In an apparent attempt to discredit that scientific study you asserted that the ocean temperatures shown on "pilot charts of decades ago are not significantly different from the ones published this year."

I've asked you numerous times to provide an example of such historic charts which show what you claim. To date you have not.

What part of the phrase "unsupported assertions" do you not understand?

(Again I will point out that the scientific study used data supplied by the Met Office Hadley Centre. I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that they don't directly use historic pilot charts. However I could imagine that both the Hadley Centre database and historic pilot charts were derived the same underlying data.)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Firstly, I refer to a published document that is freely available. Secondly, I provided a link for you to download the pilot charts. I think your statement is false.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. ImaginaryNumber

Gonzo, would you be so kind as to provide the specific links for the two charts (one recent, the other from sometime in the late 1800s), which show the lack of temperature change? The charts should show the surface sea temperatures off the coast of the eastern US, and off the southern tip of Greenland, as those two areas were the ones identified as having the greatest temperature change. And if you're willing to go the extra mile, would you also post screenshots of the two charts (like I did in this post), showing the relevant data -- just so we can be sure that we're all on the same page.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I already did. It is in the link.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Gonzo, I'm confused as well.
    That link you posted takes you to a page with the last Pilot Charts for the North Atlantic as of 2002.
    Is that what you are referring to ? 2002 seems a bit dated.

( see attached)
    PilotCharts.png

9. ImaginaryNumber

Gonzo,
    As rwatson has pointed out, the link you provided is to an index page of pilot charts, not to the charts themselves. What I'm requesting you provide is the link to the actual charts themselves.

For instance, here is a link to the January 2002 edition (apparently the most recent version) of the North Atlantic pilot chart. It would be most helpful if you would provide the link to, say, the January 1885 edition of the North Atlantic pilot chart. Then we could compare the two charts to see if your original assertion is correct, or whether the scientific study is correct.

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Cmon guys...this is deflection, pure and simple.
    Gonzo knows ******* well that he's offering nothing of value.
    There doesn't seem to be much point in trying to directly argue or discuss with people using simpleton trolling techniques such as Gonzo is using here, i.e. to post a statement as vague and unsupported as he did and then play stupid by claiming "I already did. It is in the link" when all he's offered is "centuries of collected and cataloged data" with no pinpointing whatsoever of where in such a mass of homespun pages one might find the information that supports what he claims.
    Don't feed the troll.

11. ImaginaryNumber

Heat waves over the ocean have ballooned and are wreaking havoc on marine life | Washington Post

Heat waves over the world’s oceans are becoming longer and more frequent, damaging coral reefs and creating chaos for aquatic species. A study published in the journal Nature Communications found a 54 percent increase in the number of days in which heat waves have cooked the oceans since 1925. The Nature study concurred that “we can expect further increases in marine heatwave days under continued global warming.”

* Coral reefs are bleaching four to five times as frequently as they did three decades ago.

* In 2014, sea surface temperatures in the northeast Pacific Ocean were 5 to 6 degrees above normal, with outsider species appearing up and down the West Coast of the United States, including ocean sunfish, warm-water blue shark, mahi mahi, a Pacific sea turtle, and marlin.

* The warm blob in the northeast Pacific caused increased mortality of sea lions, whales and seabirds, very low ocean primary productivity, an increase in warm-water copepod species in the Northern California region

* Sustained loss of kelp forests, reduced surface chlorophyll levels, which affect phytoplankton populations, mass mortality of marine invertebrates and reshaping of the community structure of ocean species.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

A new directive from the 1% to the base.

Your orders....

The Growing Movement to Take Polluters to Court Over Climate Change https://newrepublic.com/article/146326/growing-movement-take-polluters-court-climate-change

The creeps stoop so low as to use obviously fake, staged events like this to generate unwarranted concern...

That green looks good and sets off the blue real nice.

Alive or dead, the color is pretty close and it's still all lumpy looking...what's the problem? Why hinder corporate profits over a hoax?

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

‘I cried…right into my mask’: Scientists say Guam’s reefs have bleached four years straight https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/08/03/i-cried-right-into-my-mask-these-coral-reefs-have-seen-a-devastating-four-years-of-bleaching/?utm_term=.f76c6866366b

Don't be fooled by all that delusional stuff. Remember, all that is somewhere else so it absolutely doesn't matter to the US of A. Stay the course. Stop the conspiracy.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

More than 90 percent of world's coral reefs will die by 2050

The world has lost roughly half its coral reefs in the last 30 years. Scientists are now scrambling to ensure that at least a fraction of these unique ecosystems survives beyond the next three decades. The health of the planet depends on it: Coral reefs support a quarter of all marine species, as well as half a billion people around the world."

More than 90 percent of coral reefs will die out by 2050 https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/environment-90-percent-coral-reefs-die-2050-climate-change-bleaching-pollution-a7626911.html

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Japan’s Largest Coral Reef is 70% Dead Due to Bleaching https://www.theinertia.com/environment/japans-largest-coral-reef-is-70-dead-due-to-bleaching/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.