Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myark

myark Senior Member

Estimates of shark death range up to 100 million sharks each year, which averages out to approximately 11,000 sharks an hour.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/environment/why-sharks-should-be-afraid-of-humans/

Why Sharks Are so Critical

The threat to sharks is clear. As of 2010, some species of sharks were down 50 to 90 percent and up to a third could be facing extinction. Sharks are considered apex predators, so they play a central role in the health of oceans. As their numbers dwindle their prey can feast on lower organisms, such as scallops and clams, which leads to depletion of these creatures. This causes what is known as a “trophic cascade” in the oceans.

According to Sea Shepherd, “Studies are already indicating that regional elimination of sharks can cause disastrous effects including the collapse of fisheries and the death of coral reefs.”

Effectively, if we kill too many sharks in an effort to catch more fish, eventually this unbalance will cause fish stocks to collapse – and the marine environment to degrade. Now that’s a truly scary thought.

Humans Helping Sharks

There are ways for humans to help instead of hurt sharks. One option is to educate others, for example, through an educational event at a local school or community center. Many organizations, like Shark Savers, offer educational materials. Another tactic is to not eat shark products – which can find their way into imitation crab, lobster, or shrimp.

You can also help sharks by reducing your consumption of fish. The fishing industry resorts to using aggressive fishing methods in conjunction with high demand for fish. If you can save around 225 fish a year by leaving them off your plate, think about how many sharks you can save by association. You can also purchase cruelty-free cosmetics to avoid ingredients like shark liver oil.

These are just a few of the options out there to help out the sharks, who clearly need humans to change.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I put a block of melting ice on a match and it did not light. I then took a dry match, lit a fire and melted a block of ice. I deduced from that experiment that volcanos cause melting glaciers, not the reverse.

It is amazing how much sheer idiocy shines from the minds of climate swindlers and lunatics.

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Meat the Biggest Climate-Change Issue No World Leader is Talking About in Paris

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/eatfortheplanet/

In the past 40 years, we’ve lost 52 percent of wildlife from the face of the planet; there is currently more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there has been in the past 800,000 years and our oceans are riddled with over 400 massive dead zones, completely devoid of life due to our pollution. While it may be difficult to fathom the fact that humankind has been responsible for this enormous amount of damage, it is the reality. But what is possibly even more challenging for people to understand is that something as simple as the food choices we make every day can be intrinsically tied to this destruction. Especially, our appetite for meat, dairy and eggs.

Take the first step by trying any one of the following:

1. Try eating meatless one day a week

2. Make one meal a day all plant-based

3. Recreate your favorite foods without meat and dairy

4. myark

myark Senior Member

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/anima...our-diet-how-would-it-really-help-the-planet/

With ocean acidification and climate change already causing some major problems in today’s oceans, humans have a lot more to own up to. Most people may not even realize that their daily choices are causing problems worldwide. Whether or not you want to believe it, the simple act of eating commercially caught fish should be added to the list of threats facing our oceans. With millions of fish caught each year to reach the fish demands that humans have today, it’s time to get down and dirty on the topic of fish consumption.

In 2009, United States citizens consumed approximately 4.8 billion pounds of seafood, that equals out to 15.8 pounds of seafood per person. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, “On a per capita basis, Americans eat about 3.5 ounces per week.”

Just over three ounces? Doesn’t seem like a whole lot, does it? Well, if a single human consumed the exact average per year, their consumption of fish would reach up to 182 ounces annually. When you multiply that by the 300,000,000 plus people living in the U.S., you’re looking at a huge problem – especially when you consider the rates at which fish are taken from the oceans.
    While our taste for fish has definitely impacted the planet, there is a solution – rethinking our diets to minimize the consumption of fish. According to Counting Animals, an individual who chooses to take on a vegetarian diet can save over 225 fish and 151 shellfish a year. If just half of the U.S. population (about 150,000,000 individuals) eliminated seafood from their diets, that would mean about 33,750,000,000 fish would remain in the ocean every year.

This difference could help repopulate vital fish stocks and allow them to recover, given ample time. In between 2000 and 2014, 36 fish populations were rebuilt as a result of a single fish-management law that would protect marine habitats essential to fish reproduction and safeguard the populations of small fish. At our current rates, only 1 percent of fish are recovering from depletion.
    By removing fish from your diet (supplements included), you can boost marine animal populations and avoid health-threatening toxins. That’s right … toxins. A study conducted in 2013 by Maine’s Biodiversity Research Institute found that a whopping 84 percent of all fish contain unsafe levels of mercury! When you consider the benefits to the world’s oceans – and your health, the decision to alter your consumption of fish seems pretty fantastic. Although the oceans are constantly under threats from human derived actions, we should not give up trying to protect our seas. By simply changing your diet, you can easily make a huge impact on the health of the oceans as well as your own health and well-being.

5. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Seasonality of volcanic eruptions | Journal of Geophysical Research

6. ImaginaryNumber

Did melting glaciers cause volcanic eruptions in eastern California? Probing the mechanics of dike formation | Journal of Geophysical Research

7. ImaginaryNumber

Climate Change May Increase Volcanic Eruptions | Live Science

8. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Thank you for that wonderful effort to encourage greater acceptance of climate science, and to reduce the impact of deniers. I think it will be remarkably effective.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

If not have the guts to give up eating fish and help the ocean restore from the human destruction then try an alternative Fish sauce and Tuna

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ree-alternative-made-w-seaw?ref=home_featured

The number of fish sauce brands on the market is staggering, but the number of vegan alternatives is staggeringly small. We've already manufactured Fysh™ sauce in small batches, fine-tuned our recipe, and are ready to scale up production - but we could use your help.

Please consider buying a bottle of Fysh™ sauce, get it mailed right to your door and start spicing up your meals with Fysh™, not fish.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1773616135/tofuna-fysh-vegan-food-meatlessmay/description

Finally, a unique & convenient vegan food option that's as versatile and durable as classic tuna fish. Made with jackfruit & seaweed

Attached Files:

10. myark

myark Senior Member

Maybe, just maybe humans may set a trend and stop killing fish and animals and eventually them self's, "Nuclear War"

Paris UN Climate Conference 2015: Go vegetarian, says Arnold Schwarzenegger

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...2015-go-vegetarian-says-arnold-schwarzenegger

Austrian body-builder Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, "you hit like a vegetarian".

Now the body-builder turned-actor-turned-politician has urged people to turn vegetarian – at least part-time – to save the planet, "Ocean"

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

12. ImaginaryNumber

Ice Gravity And Earth Structure Variations Could Affect Melting Of Antarctic Ice | Tech Times
    [​IMG]

13. ImaginaryNumber

Adidas uses plastic ocean waste to create a 3D-printed shoe | Engadget
    The design hopes to bring awareness to this type of pollution.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

ANOTE'S ARK: What if your homeland was swallowed by the sea?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...your-homeland-was-swallowed-by?ref=nav_search

Kiribati faces the unstoppable rise of the sea, which will engulf it before long. Can these people survive as their country disappears?

My name is Matthieu Rytz, and I have become obsessed with the people I’ve met in Kiribati: the unseen victims of our frenzied and systematic exploitation of natural resources.

In 2012, on a trip from Panama to Colombia, I visited an archipelago of more than 375 islands known as the Kuna Yala. There, for the first time, I came face to face with a people whose land was about to disappear. I began working on a photo essay, which was eventually published in the New York Times.

I decided that I needed to explore this issue in greater depth, so I left for the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Kiribati, where I spent the month of January 2014 documenting the lives of the people there.

After this trip to the Pacific, I felt both righteous anger at the injustice of the situation, and a sense of powerlessness in the face of such an inevitable outcome. I wanted people around the world to see the impact that climate change is having on vulnerable people and nations today, far away from the news cameras and the centers of power.

I knew then that I needed to make this film.

Attached Files:

• asd.png
      asd.png
      File size:
      327.5 KB
      Views:

15. ImaginaryNumber