Ocean Kite Sailing-How to solve the problems with very light airs and sudden squalls?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Angélique, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

My question hereby is: How they gonna solve light airs and doldrums on the ocean when the kite won't get up or drops in the sea al the time . . ? ?

In very light airs traditional sails would maybe only flap just a little, but would still be able to move the boat at a 'speed' of one or two knots maybe, so eventually could get you out of there earlier then just wait and wait for a weather change.

Below an example of her dinghy sister, there light airs aren't such a problem, you simply stay ashore . . . :idea:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Westel

Westel Senior Member

A few lbs of Helium in a few chambers will be enough to keep the kite in the air I guess, kinda like an odd shaped balloon.....
    A small bottle will be sufficient for several re-fill's I guess......how and what, I dont know :D

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Kite Tender

Good stuff! Thanks, Angel...

4. Angélique

Could be a good idea [​IMG]

But I think it would require a different kite design since the normally with air filled float might try to fly at the upper side when it gets filled with Helium.

5. Trent hink

Trent hink Junior Member

Helium won't work with kitesurfing tube kites, but potentially it could work with a large foil kite.

As far a I can tell, modern foil kitesurfing kites will fly in 6-8knots, maybe less. In my experience, launching a foil in light wind can be difficult.

6. Angélique

Trent Hink, thanks for the info . . :)

I would still like to move around a bit when there's only 4 or 5 knots of wind though . . :cool:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

An aside, just saw a 28' Tri, worth to save I think, for sale in Sarasota fl, advertiser is somewhere near Stickney Point Rd, maybe it's something for you, or maybe you could send the guys over here (post #495) a report + some pics about it's actual condition . . ? ?

7. Westel

Westel Senior Member

All the few pockets of helium (or another cheap lighter than air gas) have to do is lift the weight of the sail/lines in the air.
    Why would it not be possible to add a few small "air" bags at the top of the sail to lift it in the air ?:confused:

8. Angélique

At least higher there is more wind than below between the swell, so if the kite is brought up it might catch some of the little wind up there . . ? ?

9. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Certainly a worthy concept for an off shore boat.

Might even be a good idea for a life boat, or life raft.

10. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Maybe a topspar or telescopic spar for launching the kite in light air. Also a super light, and big, kite for light air. I am not sure the helium idea is practical. I think you would add as much weight as you would create buoyancy. Also not sure if you would recompress the helium between flights. Neat idea though. You could store it in a bag in your buoyancy tanks so you might not actually have to compress it and recompress it. Less gear storage though. Put me down as a maybe.

11. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

I'm thinking for light air you might want a super light drifter sail, if only because it wouldn't require as much string, and it would be more versatile as a wind-seeker. It could be very light and be designed for 0-5 knots. Just a big flat cut nylon genoa, on a light carbon whip spar that extends above the kite spar. The whip spar could also be used for initial launching of the light-air kite, which might be for 3-8 knots. The drifter / wind seeker would be better for less stable light airs where there are lots of holes and zephers. The light-air kite would be better for steady but light breezes. I agree that in many conditions it might be steady once you are up high enough especially in left over slop, and in warm winds over cold waters, i.e. high wind sheer. The telescopic or 'gunter' spar would not have to be heavy.

12. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Helium has about 1 gram lifting force per liter......have no clue how much such a kite sail weighs though.
    Perhaps the volume would be too big to be practical.......after all,it was just an idea :D

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

These kites have excellent all weather capabilities
    and this is what I am hoping to develop for the TEN it pulls very well and I guess that a good kite could pull a small boat along a an easy TWO knots :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5z4o_yfvMQ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.