OB jet drives

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ted655, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I need to be educated on OB jets. Are they less powerful than a prop on the same powerhead? How do they handle at slow speed? Are they prone to clogging or sand/ debri erosion? Is there more maintainence?
    They must suck more gas, how much more?
    Anyone running one now? Past experience, good or bad? Thanks.

2. RAWRF

RAWRF Junior Member

They are definitely less powerful and use significantly more gas. the San Leandro Outboard jets that most companies use are just about bulletproof tho, and they are super-easy to take off and on, but you don't want to run jets in seaweed or other marine plant life areas. I run a jet on my outboard for shallow water only, and I installed stainless steel aerator screen on the inside of the intake above the grates to keep out rocks, but if you suck up weeds with that system you would have to turn the engine off and hope they float out or else you have to get under the boat and remove them by hand.

3. Tom Winters

Tom Winters New Member

I drove a passenger cat powered by twin 40hp Yamaha jets in Hawaii in the early 90's. I didn't have much of a run, so they worked ok. Not much power, but it was nice not having props in the water with tourists all over the place.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.