Not Exactly A Boat Renovation

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Voce, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Voce

Voce New Member

Firstly apologies for this question not pertaining to actual boats. But in my research I believe the materials used in new sail boat construction can help. I am restoring a 1977 GMC Motorhome and because of their fibreglass and aluminum construction their very popular and have gained a cult like following of people like myself fully restoring... and modernizing these coaches. For example using Coosa instead of marine plywood for the floor decking and more.
    Its time to start the interior and this is were I have been looking at mostly sail boat heads (dry shower) or separate shower configuration. Because of the detail on maximizing space I am asking if someone can point me to the possible materials used for walls and shower enclosures. Other coaches are using tile and studded membrane walls, to me this takes a lot of space and not really durable for a moving vehicle.
    Some picture attached are from a Beneteau Oceanis 60, a Outremer and a GMC remodel bathroom. Hopefully you see what Im trying to accomplish
    Video please go to time 11:00 to 12:00 min

Thank you
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Formica would be very appropriate for your purposes.

3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

The big box stores sell thin, lightly textured FRP sheets for this purpose, along with appropriate trim pieces for corners and butt joints.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Of course the obvious, why don't you just lay up some fibreglass, like the examples you list ?

5. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Have seen similar stuff with coosa or divinycell core pre laminated panels trimmed with the wood of your choosing. Currently building an interior using Blue water 20 with some 10 oz table bagged and built with tapped seams. Right now it's just glass that'd being lightly faired and will get gel coated some interior color and trimmed with some wood of some sort (yet undetermined).

6. Voce

Voce New Member

Thank you All .. some great ideas!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.