Non fossil fuel propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rob denney, Sep 10, 2011.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Very interesting point - it makes a lot of sense, as even hydroponic tomato growers get significantly better production through glass than plastic.

Just as an interesting link, I came across two articles about ocean phytoplankton nutrition (iron and nitrogen effects) by accident. I thought I would place them here for anyone interested, and so I can find them later myself

http://phys.org/news166187442.html

http://phys.org/news152538900.html
    "waters north of Crozet experience an enormous bloom containing billions of individual phytoplankton and covering 120,000 square kilometers (the size of Ireland)."

and

"the authors point out that the amount of carbon sequestered in the deep ocean for a given input of iron falls far short of previous geoengineering estimates, "with significant implications for proposals to mitigate the effects of climate change through purposeful addition of iron to the ocean," wrote lead author Pollard."

2. beernd

beernd Junior Member

I did not express myself very clearly

What I wanted to point out is that the algae industry can be started on land that is in no way safe for food production, like for instance former industrial sites, with poluted land.

Cheers

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That's fair enough Mr B - its a very valid point you make. I wasn't wanting to have a dig at you, just expressing that initial setup might not even require paying for, and pouring concrete.

A lot of that industrial land may be too expensive to buy, but leasing it for easily relocatable glass and/or plastic constructions, may make more economic sense on what is still a start-up industry.

I was staggered at the number of algae growing projects around the world from a google search. Very encouraging.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yah the algae thing is exploding, I've read estimates that had a gallon of fuel from algae at $2 a gallon at the pump, but I doubt that will ever happen. My bet is it will come around at the same price as dino diesel and someone will be raking in the bucks.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I had a look at the Solix site but not much hard data there, interesting though. What is the advantage of growing in vertical tubes is it more efficient on a space per production basis due to increased photosynthesis versus land area? Also how does the refining process work? Similar to biodiesel? ok googling really is my friend and questions answered looks to offer some serious advantages over growing ethanol etc for fuel and thanks for the links very enlightening.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

eventually the high rise type configuration will provide for larger crops in smaller areas. They can be sectional so built off site and transported to there permanent home is most cost effective. Glass instead of plastic as it aids in light transmission. The systems could be set up with a minimal footprint next to waste water treatment plants with the waste water being a feedstock for the algae.

7. beernd

beernd Junior Member

Yes and for instance plastic companies can start producing their own primary raw material on site.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Your missing the point, plastic is bad, glass is good.

something like 7 of the top 10 most toxic pollutants in the environment are directly related to plastics production

9. beernd

beernd Junior Member

sigh

for plastics read
    What I am getting at is all the products that are just now made from Dino oil could be made from bio diesel.
    Don't get hung up on the word plastics, and yes I know they are bad and sorry but they are going to be around for a very long time, you are not going to replace the synthetic rubber gaskets in your car by glass gaskets anytime soon now I think.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

your still missing the point, Dino based plastics production is "the" number one pollutant. Yes we can move to make "some" plastics out of natural oils, peanut oil is the basis for ecopoxy for instance; but continuing to make our most polluting products is a mistake in general. The fundamental error lies in insisting we need most plastics for as much "stuff" as we do. There are actually very few roles where plastic is "vital" with most being simply convenient

think bio degradables

11. beernd

beernd Junior Member

I do think biodegradables,
    I am talking about The stuff we need in machinery automotive etc.

I nowhere state that we should be using plastic all over the place just for the heck of it.
    Quote me where I said that or read my previous post.

You seem to want to make a point about something I never wrote.
    READ

Lets just assume that both of us are talking about "biodegradable value added product", and that will be the PC expression in this discussion

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

they sell data, so I'm not surprised they don't provide to much without a sales pitch to go with it. Apparently its a thriving business for them

Bernard, I have no idea what your on about, my point is that we could do with less plastics. You mentioned something to the effect of "oh boy, now we can make plastic out of that instead" to which I responded, plastic, bad. As well as included reasons why less plastic should be a primary goal. Didn't mean to offend anyone, didn't misrepresent anything, certainly wasn't a personal attack of any kind .

Relax
    breath
    lets try and have a peaceful conversation ok

Cheers
    B

13. beernd

beernd Junior Member

What I am saying is.

We can stop making *value added products[sic]* out of dino oil.
    I never ever stated that all the bio oil should be changed in to plastics, that's what I am trying to make clear in a very calm and clear way.

I still don't know where I said that all the bio oil should be transformed into plastic and you still haven't quoted me on that.
    If you read what you want to read in my posts and keep telling me that I am "missing the point" than there is a possibillity that I do get slightly P****d off, this should not amaze you.

Cheers.

14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Biofuel vs Biodiesel, sources, similarities, applications ?

Here's another aviation biofuel reference

...making use of desert areas and salt water....WOW

A question arise in my mind Are there enough similarities between this aviation biofuel and biodiesel fuel that it could be utilized in our yachts??

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No - whatever is good for planes and automobiles, is good for boats.

Some weeks ago I was watching a TV show called Landline - that highlights innovation in agriculture.
    http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2013/s3787666.htm

A US company is buying up large tracts if desert in Western Australia, to raise Algae on salty water. This is only one of dozens all over the world.

The big catch is - its too expensive to develop fuel from Algae yet - the production costs are too high.

But - they are making money from the Algae - by selling the concentrate into health food products.

And excerpt from the interview
    "SEAN MURPHY: Aurora's pilot plant is harvesting about 15 tonnes a month of dried algal material, which is shipped back to California and turned into omega-3 EPA supplements, fish feed and biofuel. For now, the company says the best returns are in the omega-3 health supplements, but the most potential is in biofuel.

The company is in the process of redesigning these ponds to test a more efficient growing system. The focus will be on omega-3 production. For now, biofuel is still just a byproduct.

PAUL BRUNATO: We can sell biofuel while producing omega-3s. We can sell biofuel for market price, no matter what it is, and be profitable based on the omega-3s. Biofuel is just added on. It's the cherry on top of the cake.

SEAN MURPHY: The Pilbara has one of the world's biggest markets for diesel, but biofuel is still more expensive to produce than fossil fuels. "

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.