Non fossil fuel propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rob denney, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Well Boston, If you can guarantee me that no agriculture land is lost to bio-fuel production and that the price of food does not go up by more than the average inflation, I will back you up. Also you must guarantee me that they do not cut more forests in Brazil, to gain bio-fuel production land. Otherwise we have an even bigger problem than paying more for our diesel and gas. If you can do that, you are right and I will agree with you. Bert

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Ach well, whatever we do, we will have advantages and disadvantages. Thus let me believe that Boston is right and that he guarantees me, no food price increases. It may very well be the best solution. Bert

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

its called reality Bert, and it seldom comes with guarantees. But unless it makes financial sense to build an algae pond directly on productive farmland then it seems pretty obvious that its not likely to interfere with food production., If anything it will enhance it due to improving climactic conditions and because the only byproduct is a plant waste concentrate ( pellets ) that makes perfect fertilizer just the way it is. Can also be used as animal feed. I can think of at least a couple horses that will eat pretty much anything green that isn't running away from them.

cheers
    B

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

The ideal land for closed system algae production is actually areas that are not great farm land. Deserts, with deep aquifers are a special favorite, thanks to the high amount of sunlight, little cloud cover, and high tempratures. Basically land that has little commercial value now.

Additionally what the closed loop systems need a lot of is CO2, with at least one start up I know taking the exhaust from a coal fired plant and using it as feed for the algae. This worked great on two levels, one it captured the gas from the power station, then it created fuel for a second generator, which also created co2 for the algae... It wasn't a closed loup, but it did see large gains, sadly the company couldnt figure out the process before they ran out of money.

5. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

My apology, I was always under the impression that sunflower and other agricultural production was mainly used for bio-diesel.
    Bert

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no worries, that was way back at the beginning of the search for a bio diesel feed stock, as time has gone on better and better feed stocks have been found until finally certain algae's were noticed to have extremely high lipid fat contents. These algaes are now being farmed in pilot programs that are pounding out bio diesel at a cost of about $2 a gallon. Certainly they are the best option we have for alternative power, if we can only get it together fast enough to make a difference. The oil and gas giants are even getting in on it, although quietly.

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

That is what worries me. They did the same to us while I was involved in the solar energy association. We had a plan on the table to make Solar Cells for less than 25 dollar cents per watt, in view that we had a very good quality silicon sand and electricity and labour was cheap in those days. The oil companies moved in, took the treasure, vice chairman and chairmanship over and that was the end of inexpensive solar cells. I am concerned that they will do the same to bio-diesel production. Bert

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I was looking at doing a biodiesel plant in Haiti, guess who made the profit on the diesel distribution through out the country. You guest it if you thought it was the government.That is why most government would rather band biodiesel than promote it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

oh definitely, why do you think we give the five top oil producers who made something like 150 billion last year 10 billion in subsidies per anum. Its the graft money to send back though the lobbying process. Which goes straight to the top. Which is why there's so much resistance to alternative fuels. It doesn't concentrate the profits at the top.

biodiesel is best made/distributed at the municipal level where transportation costs are low. Its the one thing about alternative fuels that frightens the multinationals. Once they take off they'll loose control of the energy sector

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Good news - Solar is cheaper than Diesel

India's panel price crash could spark solar revolution

"Now the generators could be on their way out. In India, electricity from solar supplied to the grid has fallen to just 8.78 rupees per kilowatt-hour compared with 17 rupees for diesel. The drop has little to do with improvements in the notoriously poor efficiency of solar panels: industrial panels still only convert 15 to 18 per cent of the energy they receive into electricity. But they are now much cheaper to produce, so inefficiency is no longer a major sticking point."

http://www.newscientist.com/article...price-crash-could-spark-solar-revolution.html

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well that is good news, now lets just hope they can keep up with demand, at the reduced price.

cheers
    B

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

13. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

14. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Fascinating thread, thanks for all the input.

The call for papers for the 3rd Symposium on Marine Propulsors in Tasmania, Australia next year has just been released.

Information on the Symposium can be found at www.marinepropulsors.com

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Rob

15. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

liquid air engine is never going to work
    not enough power, run out of fuel, liquify the air costs too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOImbv_xcT8

oil is not a fossil fuel, it is produced abiotically in the earth.
    http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html
    http://www.americantraditions.org/A...d Is There Really Any Oil Shortage of Oil.htm

We will never run out of oil or coal. these other diversions are going to prove to be investor boondoggles.

If you can develop thorium nuclear power for boats, then that will work. Thorium is abundant compared with uranium. but then you know the greens will jack up the costs with lots of regulatory red tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium_fuel_cycle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.