Nimble omnidirectional speed / houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by KyleF, Oct 30, 2019.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@SailDesign, the OP gave 2 seconds, I know, but Gonzo did not speak in his comment of any time and exposed some reasoning with very little foundation, imo.
    I trust your calculations, let's say that you have succeeded, very well, 2.38 G, so what?. What is that for the OP?. What you have to say him is that, for several reasons, that boat is not feasible, whether 50 knots or 5 knots, 2 seconds or 22 seconds.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

< sigh... >

Whether 2 seconds or 22 seconds makes the world of difference to the accelerations required. And Gonzo had read the original post and assumed we all knew the 2 seconds requirement.

If you feel +50 to -50 mph in 2 seconds is do-able, then please tell the OP how. I'll be interested to see the logic.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Could you please re-read my last post?. There is my logic : "that boat is not feasible"

4. SailDesign

What you SAID was

This reads that even +5 to -5 in 22 seconds is not feasible. Which is wrong.

I know that English is not your native tongue, and since I know NO Spanish worth mentioning, you are far ahead of me there. However, your post reads as I state above.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

THIS BOAT, changing speed IN ANY DIRECTION, is not feasible, imo. Is now my english more correct?

6. SailDesign

TANSL, I'm not making fun of your English - I'm merely pointing out that I may have read it in a way you did not intend.

And if this vessel cannot change speed in any direction (this mythical, non-existent vessel that no-one has designed yet) can we not simply give it a Voith-Schneider rotor and go home?

DogCavalry likes this.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, you are right, we leave him with a Voith-Schneider and we dedicate ourselves to our things.

SailDesign likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.