Newbie with glass ID question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Jbird, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Jbird

Jbird Junior Member

Thanks for letting me into your forum. I got a 1971 Larson trihull with a four cylinder Chevy IO powertrain and four holes in the hull. Two of the holes were caused by an over zealous skill sawer and two were caused by me, a loose chain and a forklift. I need to find out what kind of fiberglass to use to repair the oopses. I have both epoxy and polyester resins and several types of mat and cloth. Where can I find out what the hull was originally made with and should I use that material to repair the hull below the water line.

I've built a couple of glass car bodies but you don't have to worry about them sinking. Thanks for any help. Jbird:?: :cool:

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hi JBird,

In 1971 they were almost certainly using poly resin. That and glass cloth will probably make for a functional repair.

Nice to have you as a member.

Take care.

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.