Newbie to sailing. Need advise on how to start.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Muttsist, Apr 15, 2013.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Petros suggested the book; Tightwads On The Loose. It is a real page turner and has some pretty good instructional information hidden within its' pages. It is more practical than Slocums book. I mean what the hell, Slocum claimed that he had used an old rusty alarm clock for a timepiece. Not the most advised way to teach yourself celestial navigation subjects. Down the line somewhere you will need to study the book; American Practical Navigator by Nathanial Bowditch. It is US hydrographic Office Publication number 9.

Par was entirely correct when he addressed you as grasshopper. (that is not a derisive term, it is only a descriptive one that infers.....much to learn. That comes from a famous line from a long past TV series about Kung Fu.)

Meanwhile find some friendly small boat sailors and learn the basics and you will almost surely have a really good time. Incidentally, sailors are renown for making friends with someone who shows up with a cold six or twelve pack.

2. Muttsist

Muttsist Junior Member

will do master shifu or was it miagi. I honestly cant remember and I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll go bug my dad.

Since I'm still 19 we'll just pretend that the cold six or twelve pack is a reference to ones abdomen.:p Seeing how the world is not like twilight (thank god, there are enough people walking around with glitter on their face) I doubt I will be seeing a twelve pack.

And its a little too late to go back on the slocum book...it just came in the mail today...

you guys are always giving me advise so here's my little bit as your everyday stress reliever: When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won! I won!"

Don't know about you but it makes me feel a whole lot better about taking my last 20 out.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I always say "jackpot!"

slocum's book is an interesting read, it is a classic and a landmark book for recreational sailing. but it is mostly of historical interest.

BTW, beer is okay for some, but the preferred adult beverage for all sailors is Rum. It is always Rum. Beer and wine you could make a mistake, but never with rum. You will have to wait a few years for that however.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's a sin to waste rum on a sailor . . .

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

only if it is good rum. Most rum is the cheapest adult distilled beverage you can get.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.