down wind sail assist

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by girvin, Jun 8, 2010.

1. girvin

girvin Junior Member

So I was just dreaming up some boat ideas and wanted to just kind of throw this out there. For me I need a big engine for tides and reef passes since our whole reason for cruising is exploring new surf breaks. So the beebe voyaging power boat idea sounds great. However I am a sailer and loved my sailboats. The thing that will always hold me back is money. I am of modest means but my wife loves the large space of the boats I do delivery's on.

So I was dreaming up a great boat for us someday. Basically something along the lines of the dashew's new power cruiser but more simplistic construction. So somewhere in the middle of a diesel duck and a Dashew's. LOL is that broad enough? We will carry a 16 ft aluminum dink with a yamaha 50 on it so the back deck will be similer to a trawler or work boat but very fine entry and flush deck upfront. I always new I couldn't afford a rig on a sailboat over 50ft but if it was a junk rig and we used it just for going downwind or reaching it would work quite well and be cheap. I would love a 65 to 70 ft boat by 14. That would power at 8.5 knots and have a 3,000 mile range while being able to sail down wind at 14knts. Well sorry about the ramble there is no point just dreaming. :D

I found some large sailboats that need new rig and sail for cheap when I priced out the cost I fell down. Maybe if I have a realistic idea of motoring to weather always a junk rig and masts could be retrofitted and make one of the 55+ sailboat more reasonable for cost of maintenance or I might still be dreaming. They all seem to have large engines so this is a idea.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

About 3hp per ton of displacement will give all the speed a displacement hull needs.

To power cheaply at 8.5K, simply multiply 8.5 times 8.5 and that is the length you need. Cheap speed needs a long boat.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.