New Wave Systems Pro Basic

Discussion in 'Software' started by nordvindcrew, Sep 13, 2006.

1. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

I purchased Pro basic before I found this forum. I have no CAD experience and have been very slowly learning the program. I find the documentation that came with it almost useless. Any user comments and advise would be of help. All I am trying to do is design open water row boats, and am unable to fine tune parts such as the stem on a hard chine hull or get the stations to print out on a design that is finished. They also say to name surfaces before you print out a table of offsets, and give no hint as how to name them. I've got 2 or three designs that I want to do as a scale model to see if they look good enough to actually build but can't get the information out of the program that I need. Thanks, Nordvindcrew

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

nord...

Not sure what software you have? could you point us to their website. Never heard of New Wave

cheers

3. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

4. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Smaller brother of PROSURF:)

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Ah ProSurf.....

Unfortunatley there are probably not that many people here using this. I suspect that it's strength is in the generation of surfaces and that you are probably better off doing the structual parts in Rhino directly.

No luck from support ?

6. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

I haven't tried Support, was hoping to find an educated user to mentor me along a bit.
    Thanks Jeff @ nordvindcrew

7. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

I have been using prosurf but only for what it does well, generating surfaces. Once I have a shape and smooth surfaces I export the files and, use a different cad package to detail structural parts.
    For my next boat I'm considering trying out freeship, I haven't played with it yet but it seems like it provides the same or more features than prosurf. If you want to give it a try I am quite certain you will get more support and answers for it from this forum.
    Now, if you have specific questions with Prosurf I might be able to help.

Cheers,
    Murielle

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Nordvincrew

I use ProSurf and find it very much easier to use than Rhino or any of the others for actually manipulating surfaces because the points to control the surface lie directly on the surface. All other programs rely on control points somewhere out in space to control a surface some distance away, and I find that very hard to work. The user interface in ProSurf is not as good as Rhino, but I am used to it. I do all my surface creation for the original models in ProSurf, and export through .igs to Rhino for rendering. The hydrostatics, stability, and damaged stability features of ProSurf are better than anyone elses, although still operate in DOS. I understand that Steve Hollister, the creator of the program in Jamestown, RI, is working on bringing all the calculation routines into the Windows environment.

Assuming that ProBasic is the same menu setup as ProSurf (and I think it is) just click on any surface row or column (right or left mouse button) and a window should open up with some fields to fill in data. The first field is the surface name. This works with any element, a point, curve or surface. If you right click on any point, its coordinates in 3-d space will be shown, and you can change those coordinates to change the point.

I do not typically print out lines directly from ProSurf, rather I set up a lines plan using "Plane Cuts" on the top menu bar. Through its available commands, you can set the cutting "lines" as in a lines plan. Go to the "View" menu and click on "Lines View" and it will display a lines plan. You can save this to a .dxf file, then open it up in AutoCad, add text or whatever, and print it out as a drawing.

If you want a few pointers, give me a call, I'll be happy to walk you through some of the commands. If you need more in-depth help, you can call Steve Hollister at New Wave Systems for assistance. His number is (401) 423-1852.

Eric

9. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I think Rhino3D marine Hydrostatic is from Newavesys,as their expander program from shipconstruction, could be wrong. I think Rhino3D find it better to joint other program feature within their near perfect marine program. I dont think FREESHIPS have a manual or intensive help menu yet unless you want to post every problem in the freeships thread (the creator is a senior forum member), Prosurf original come with a manual and it is very thick... tutorial info also come within the disc, so no fear. I dont know about ProBasic version.

Cheers

10. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Rhinomarine is from Proteus Engineering.

Ended using Prosurf few weeks after I puchased Rhino and Phaser (now Rhinomarine) in 2001.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.