New thread...in the middle of my scow build.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Well...I have been getting SOME things done...although not as much as I would like. I got the corners knocked off the spars and shaped the Daggerboard...It came out really nice...which is very much a surprise! I am waiting on some 6 oz cloth that I ordered. I got it at a good price but shipping was more than I expected. I don't know if I like the fact that when you order...you don't get informed of the shipping. The total price is emailed to you after they calculate it. I got 20 yards of 60" 6oz cloth for 3.94 a yard but the shipping came to 28 bucks. I though it was a bit steep but what do I know? {edited to add...yes I know...the plane is as it shouldn't be...I fixed that as soon as I noticed it. Too much of a hurry to get done. I still have to get some sleep before work tonight}

Anyhoo... here are the pics of the recent progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some supports I made to hold up a couple of covers on my boats. I bought a plastic one for $14 and made these 3 for $18. 12" x 3/4" edge glued pine rounds, 2x2"s and some $0.78 Frisbee dog toys. Bought 5 and broke 2 drilling them. Used 2" screws and fender washers to secure.

[​IMG]

Thompson with two of my homemade ones

[​IMG]

'56 14' aluminum utility skiff on Shorelander trailer...got the pair for $200... Notice only one support is in use...the crappy and expensive plastic one won't stay up in even the littlest of breezes. I gotta make another one!

[​IMG]

2. lewisboats

Quick update...filled holes, scratches and gouges...sanded and glassed the bottom yesterday. I'll buzz down the edges and fill the weave today then flip it and start on the top. Still got to glue the deck down, make and install the combings, glass the deck, sand and paint the hull and glass the board. I also have to finish up the spars...I think they will be left raw until after the vacation...I only have 10 days to get things ready to splash it. I will probably only give it a couple of primer coats and a single coat of white then finish it after the vacation trips.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Tally Ho!

4. lewisboats

Last touch up (weave filling) spots on the hull bottom done and one side of the Dagger board tacking up as I type. I'll know better by the weekend how much I will do to the deck before I leave. I may just glue it down and hit it with a coat of epoxy then a coat of primer and one of paint. Right now I am concentrating on the bottom so it will be waterworthy. I have to sand, prime and paint in the next 3 days...along with glassing the other side of the board and coating the spars. A couple of days in the sun shouldn't harm the epoxy too much and a good sanding when I get back will be needed anyways. I may just leave the deck with a couple of coats of epoxy as a sealer and forgo the paint...less to sand down later.

Sorry...posted to the other thread...didn't realize this one had been bumped.

5. lewisboats

B-side of board...but nekid

[​IMG]

Loin cloth draped but not pinned

[​IMG]

Soggy drawers...

[​IMG]

All dry now!

[​IMG]

Actually...that was the A side that was already done.

Boat bottom ready to sand...

[​IMG]

New toy...actually fairly old being a 1999 but almost pristine.

[​IMG]

Oh...and as far as the Spars go... Mental picture of wet sticks.

6. lewisboats

More frantic work today...yesterday I just didn't have any energy to do anything but the dishes.

Coated all the innards with epoxy...what hadn't been coated already that is. Did some more coating of the spars too and trimmed the excess cloth from the board. Here are the current crop of pics.

A view of the internal structure...pretty beefy IMHO

[​IMG]

Close up of DB Case

[​IMG]

Close up of Mast Step with drain hole

[​IMG]

Mast Step and Partner structure:

[​IMG]

Quick shot of spars curing:

[​IMG]

A side of the DaggerBoard:

[​IMG]

7. lewisboats

And finally...the B side all done...well almost...I need to slap another coat of epoxy to fill some of the weave where it soaked in too much. A light sanding to take down some of the higher spots and it will serve until after Vacation. Man....I am sure looking forward to this. I work 350 days a year and this vacation is the reward for all that effort! Just think...in another 3 years I get another week of VA-CA. I won't know what to do with myself. When I went into the military I got 30 days of Leave the first year and every year after that. Stingy Corporate Bastages...10 years of 6 day weeks to get 3 weeks of VA-CA! Shame on them.

[​IMG]

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Perhaps I wrong but you seams to be equiped with all DeWalt cordless tool?
    Are you satisfie with them?
    Daniel

9. lewisboats

Nope...you're right. All my cordless are DeWalt. I bought the set 5-6 years ago...I just can't kill them. I still have an old 14.4 volt drill that is covered in epoxy, scratched and nicked and it still runs like a champ. I would love to have more but I don't actually NEED them so I refrain from buying and put the money to better use...for now ;)

10. lewisboats

Probably final update until I get back from VaCa. Got the second coat on the deck tops curing now and additional coat on the Daggerboard and Spars. I think this will have to do...no sanding...nothing else. I just don't have time. I have a Bazillion things to do in the next two days...and I still have to work until Thursday morning and leave Friday so I will have to call it good enough. I'll mount hardware probably Thursday along with get the trailer ready. If I have to I'll bring tools and finish up at the Messabout Friday evening or early Saturday morning so I can at least launch it and get one sail out of it.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

12. rlmccook54

rlmccook54 Junior Member

dimensions

Good morning,
    I have been reading this forum for several years now. I want to build a small sailboat but circumstances haven't permitted yet. What are the dimensions of the dagger board. The pictures are very helpful but I can't quite get the size. I am mostly interested in the part of the board submerged. Also, what is the sail shape and size?
    Thanks

13. lewisboats

Total board length is 4 ft...blade is around 35" or so long. It is 1" thick made up of 4 laminations of 1/4" 5 ply plywood and one foot wide. I am using a 75 sf balanced lug sail...not really an appropriate sail but I have it so I'll use it.

14. lewisboats

Ok...final final update...She's as ready as she'll ever be for tomorrow. Got the decks back on, hardware installed and here it is:

Driveway sailing.
    [​IMG]

Installed hardware.
    [​IMG]

Rudder setup
    [​IMG]

Bead loop.
    [​IMG]

As soon as I got off work this morning I started...and finally quit at about 8 pm...23 hours up and working. Time for a shower, a TV show and bed. I'll get up at 0 dark 30 and finish packing and all the other stuff I need to do yet.

15. rlmccook54

rlmccook54 Junior Member

more questions

Good morning,
    That is a nice looking boat. Was there a plan for it? Since you said the sail is one you had on hand what would have been the sail otherwise? Are the wings there to provide more sitting space and if so could you show a pic of the underside to show the framing? Sorry, hate to ask you to do more work after putting so much into it already. I am curious about the calculations for the center of effort and center of resistance. Just rough guesstimates.
    Thanks for your help and have a good day on the water.
    Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.