New range of Tony Grainger Trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jul 28, 2012.

1. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

and stock plans are head ache makers.

OC

2. oceancruiser

Not a verifiable source. No details - no Photos - No surname - No address - NO, E-MAIL. Just some dude named TONY. PLUS JUNIOR MEMBER

Would not call that professionalism.

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm satisfied with the posters veracity as it agrees with previous correspondence I've had with another source. I'm glad the professionals choose to participate in forums and give their information and advice. He is not touting for business simply replying to a question. I can also guarantee I've not received a cent from Hakes their Asian distributors or Tony Grainger what I do is tied to my enthusiasm for multihulls and my wish for more people to read about them and see if perhaps they fit their needs.

The whole junior member thing is a joke I've been to many forums where the foulest trolls have the highest post count and yet have contributed nothing of value with their presence.

1 person likes this.
  4. oceancruiser

Most sites allow you to go and alter your members rating to what you rate yourself.

Pitty he can't join this forum where the majority of professionals contribute and this website having the largests no of members and hit and view rates.

Who accused you about receiving payment I certainly have not at any time. If I have please copy and paste the posting with details so I can verify it and clear my name with you.

As quoted before, its not a personal attack on you or disrespect to you.

Just agreed with and added to the challenge that Mr grainger reply to the request a challenging poster, posted as a true professional would unless he is not confident re peer review.

Reading the article he sure as hell is canvassing for business if it is him.

The thread was started by wombat with a gun boat full ad.
    and design and then suddenly hijack by this dude called tony.
    Not Porfessional if it is Tony.

Copy and Paste.

"Scott McCook (Prosail Asia) has just spent three days in Xiamen giving the RAW30 a bit of a workout - and sounds like he's pretty impressed. I've posted a couple of pics on the Rocket Factory web site rocketfactorytrimarans.com

They were lucky to have a good range of breeze to give the boat a thorough workout under all sail combinations- over 20 knots one day.

I'll be posting more on the site in the coming weeks and no doubt Scott will also be posting on his site; http://www.prosail-asia.com

Stay tuned, Tony G"

Touting for business in my book. But he should have started a new thread not hi jack a thread. Like wise himself on this site start a THREAD HIMSELF would be more the professioinal way about doing it.

A REASON PERHAPS he does not want his designs exposed on this site and subject to discussion.

OC

5. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I don't understand most of what oceancruiser has posted.

What I get from all this is the boat doesn't have the payload capacity for the gear and supplies YOU want to load.

How much payload do YOU need?

Have you done a spreadsheet?

Have you asked about hiring him for a custom design for you?

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I took offence to the comment that I'm seeking to "advertise" his designs (and I'd note I know a damn sight more about trimarans than a paid marketing shill). I prefer to view it as a promotion of his design as to advertise suggests I have some personal stake in his designs success.

I'm an advocate for multihulls and want to see their success by promoting and exposing them wherever possible. It's up to the potential owners to check the designs suitability against their own SoR whatever that may be and perform their own due diligence. The reality is that most people prefer to buy rather than build from plans so I'm seeking to show and promote the options particularly trimarans.

btw Tony was replying to a thread about the RAW30 trimaran posted by Wombat 12m it wasn't a hijack the banner ad for the Gunboat is being run by the host site for the forum Sailing Anarchy.

7. oceancruiser

"I took offence to the comment that I'm seeking to "advertise" his designs"

Please state who and where they made this accusation. It appears you are referring to me which I have not posted.

Why are you trying to infer it was me. Please explain.

2. There is no hyper link on the original posting starting the thread except a hyperlink to the gun boat site posted by Wombat. Correct. So Wombat intended for comments about GUN BOAT. It does not appear to be an host ad as host ads are separate and not included in members postings. Is this not Correct. Host ads always appear outside members postings not inside them. No hyperlink to RAW30 trimaran by the Grainger rocket factory or the rocket factory.

Thread Copy and paste

Started by wombat 12m, Aug 21 2013 07:57 PM

3. Do you have Tony's permission to do so.

OC

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've emailed the Asian distributor of the RAW30 and received their approval to repost the design pictures and updates and they have sent me boat tests for the RAW30 to repost on my blog. I've linked their sites to hopefully help them sell some boats and get more trimarans out sailing and racing.

The thread title on the post was "Grainger rocket factory raw 30 tri" the Sailing Anarchy forum automatically inserts banner ads into postings in this case Gunboat as they sponsor the forum as a means of garnishing extra hits and ad "impressions" for their advertisers. All is fair in generating traffic for advertisers and it is a commercial operation.

9. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I read your post that way too. I think your post is unfair to both Tony and Corley.
    He titled that thread "Grainger rocket factory raw 30 tri". Why do you think he titled it that way if he wanted comments about Gun Boat??? Absolutely no idea where you're getting your ideas about this :confused:

10. oceancruiser

Again copy and paste the offending sentence / words.

You both are avoiding this. WHY.

Why is there a hyperlink within the title section with a link to GUNBOAT website and not a link to the Grainger rocket factory raw 30 tri" .

A little unusual is that not.

Plus the size off the ad dominates the post and the title is forgotten.

If that's is the purpose then gun boat has had a lot off visitors to their site and viewed a far superior design and boat. Real expert marketing. YES.

OC

11. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Hate to clutter up the thread, but ok.
    Start with your first post... did you take 5 minutes and contact him on his website with a clear question before posting here that he better answer the 2012 question or else? Did he even see it? That would have been more professional in my opinion. Then your comment was disrespectful towards Corley who posts on many topics here with good things I enjoy: "some non expert to advertise his non complete detailed information designs." Then your "I guess thats why people don't buy second hand multihulls" This might be true in NZ but in the us the market is flooded with monos even more. Then criticizing him for not setting a custom usertitle on SA as unprofessional or not posting enough... Give him a break. The man is busy I'm sure.

SA runs ads. They have for a long time. Nothing unusual. It is clearly an ad to me. I tried to figure out what you're saying. I spent 5 seconds and paged up to the forum and then other threads and every thread on SA in that forum has the same Gun Boat ad in the same place right now.

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

OC I highlighted the text I objected to in my reply I've no idea why you feel the need to see agendas and conspiracies in my posts but there are certainly none intended.

The Gunboats are a quality product but are in somewhat of a different market segment to the Rocket Factory trimarans designed by Tony Grainger and in my view will attract a different customer.

I believe diversity is good and seeing modern trimaran designs being developed and constructed is of interest to members of a multihull boat design forum. The trimarans are going to be somewhat more of a niche product if I can assist them with connecting to potential customers I will because I'd like to crew on one some day. Someone else paying the bills and me taking the helm for some fun sounds good :).

13. oceancruiser

Corley.

Why have you contradicted yourself.

My statement was a statement of fact which you originally confirmed with no complaints untill some one stated I could have been a bit unfair with you. He is entitled to his opinion. Its an opinion thats all.

I Quote:

" I may be a non expert (cant see anywhere that I've claimed to be anything other than a well read amateur) but I am in favour of people being informed about what is available in terms of designs. The rest is up to the buyer who should approach the purchase if they choose to make it with due diligence that the boat fits their requirements."

No disrespect but you confessed that you are a non expert and a well read amateur. No disagreement with that. But some how additionally you interpreted the word advertise for tony was accusing you receiving a commission or reward / payment from him off some kind.

No where did I suggest such a thing or infer same.

Definition SOURCE : GOOGLE

to announce or praise (a product, service, etc.) in some public medium of communication in order to induce people to buy or use it.

To which you have stated and I accept is exactly what you are doing.

So whats all this BS now about

That I need to see agendas and conspiracies in your posts.

How can I be discourteous when you agree with my statement and I plainly stated in the beginning no disrespect intended.

OR is it the usual Ausie Kiwi Sledging competion theme for public entertainment.

[ Talk about a curved Ball or a under arm bowled ball. ]

"Quote

"The Gunboats are a quality product but are in somewhat of a different market segment to the Rocket Factory trimarans designed by Tony Grainger and in my view will attract a different customer."

Totally agree with you - unless the wife has a factor in the decision making process.- its not rocket science.

One is About 1m dollars the other less than $300,000 I guess.

OC

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

As I noted I'm a well read amateur who also sails and races club multis on a regular basis and am involved in running races and hold a committee role within the Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria I'm passionate about multihulls and their success. I'm building some multis of my own and at no point have I said that people should buy a Tony Grainger design if it doesn't suit their needs. Unqualified has nothing to do with the issue at all it's a matter of making people aware of what's available. If they buy an Airplay or rocket factory trimaran because it suits their needs great if they don't then that's fine too. Helping relatively low budget operations with some promotion is in my view a worthy cause because otherwise large companies like Gunboat and Fountaine Pajot with their advertising clout will strangle the market and reduce the element of choice which comes from having options.

In addition you seem to believe there is some sort of agenda behind this post and that I'm through devious means gaining benefit it's a cowardly slight against me and one that just doesn't hold water. That might not be the intention of your posts but that's how they come across. If you feel I am abusing the information I've received and reposted and through extension this forum just say it and be done with It and report this post. I'm sick of you obfuscating your opinion behind irrelevant non issues.

1 person likes this.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=================
    Corley, I think you do a damn good job on this forum and I always look forward to reading your posts and finding out about new multihulls or races that I've missed. I appreciate your effort!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.