Discussion in 'Education' started by Stu waring, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yago - as a Westlawn student, maybe I can answer that for you, from a different perspective. Yes, you can do virtually the entire course in metric. There are a few places where it can be a bit challenging - calculating masts sizes etc is a good example - but in general it's no problem. I imagine that the revised student guide which is about to come out will further simplify matters and make it just as easy to do in metric as imperial

2. yago

yago __

Thanks Will, that was also what I understood from a mail I got from Westlawn, that I can hand in my work in metric. I guess what I really wanted to know is if the material is provided by the school also metric.
    Of course you can always convvert, but when you come to more detailed formulas, I will understand much more instinctively the relationships in my own system.
    A excellent example for that would be Gerr's scantling book, that you can use and work with entirely in both systems - reading and understanding Skenes is much less evident for us.

As for the new guide - any date for that yet?

As a student...(good to have you ;) ) can you tell us a bit more? Ho far are you advanced?
    Can you tell us how lively the "campus" is? Do you use the forum a lot? Is there active ongoing exchange or even cooperation between students or is it just a you-and-the-school situation?
    Is there any exchange between former- (now professional designers) and current Students?

Gerd

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

As I said, almost all of the text(s) give both metric & imperial examples / formulas, but I expect the revised student guide will further improve things...
    I'm told it's at the printers, so should be out pretty soon.

As far as my own studies go, I'm part way thru the final lesson of module 3, so almost 3/4's of the way thru. I'm enjoying it a lot and am learning an enormous amount. For me, the most challenging bit has bee coming to grips with the use of CAD. I would strongly suggest that anyone thinking of starting the course gets stuck in and learn how to use a couple of the programs - probably AutoCAD, Rhino and one or other of the many marine-specific programs like prosurf, multisurf, maxsurf etc. Tryin to complete the school lessons at the same time as learning how to use CAD is a big ask...

The forum was only recently revamped and looks like it is just starting to take off. As more students start to use it, so it's benefit will be felt by all.
    I do keep in touch with one or two of the other students. It's a valuable way of bouncing ideas off others who are going thru the same stuff as you. Whether others do the same, I couldn't tell you.
    I don't know about exchange between former and current students. It's a suggestion that you might like to put to the school, as I think it would be quite inspirational...

4. yago

yago __

Just to let you know, Will, I signed up, and am digging my heels in...from what I see so far, great material and lots of feet and inches. ;)

5. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Dear Sir,

I'm a graduated from your school (1977 in two years....)

Actually I'm an indipendent Naval Architect, designer of a lot of high speed military and pleasure craft according the hull shape named ASD (Arrow System Design) invented by myself.

I would be pround to be inserted in your list.

My projects are illustrated in my web:

www.ranchidesign.ch

thanking in advance,
    best regards,

Otto RANCHI
    Naval Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.