new member intro

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rlackey, Jun 17, 2005.

1. rlackey

rlackey Junior Member

Hello all!

I just want to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Rich Lackey, and I have been designing a 52m raised deck sailing yacht since 2000. I am self taught, and will soon be starting my studies with Westlawn. I work as a film editor full time, so this is kind of developing as a hobby / second career. This one design has been taking me so long just because I spend most of my time working, and my spare time with my head in a book trying to learn how to calculate hydrostatics, stability and loads on the hull.

This is revision 32 of the hull alone, and the hull and superstructure is now finally done, and finally meets the requirements I set myself in the design brief way back when I started as far as hydrostatics, stability and projected performance are concerned.

I joined to learn and to enjoy conversation with fellow designers. With your help, and plenty more time reading, I want to speed this process up a bit and get this design finished.

Here are some basic renderings of the hull and superstructure. I'm also building a scale model of the yacht as it progresses. Let me know what you think! :D

Attached Files:

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi rlackey,

Nice to have you :cool:

Jy is besig met groot boot vir 'n eerste maal.

3. rlackey

rlackey Junior Member

Hi! Thanks for the welcome!

My Afrikaans is pretty shaky, I'm from the U.S. but moved here in 2000, which is plenty of time and I have no excuse I know. :rolleyes: My girlfriend/ soon to be fiance is also Afrikaans, which makes me even more embarassed that I still can't speak it well.

Where abouts are you in S.A.?

Rich :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.