New low-cost "hardware store" racing class; input on proposed rules

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Petros, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I think macbeath's hull would make a nice Classic Moth: www.mothboat.com
    That class has a 1" max hollow aft of the daggerboard rule, effectively banning racks. I would favor adding a rule to force the waterline to be a little wider, like the I-14 does.

2. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

That's from the I-14 rule book. It might lead to a healthier type, but with boats already under way, it would be something to consider for the future, not this year.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I am not so sure the wings are a problem, too narrow a hull and it will not perform in the heavy cargo load operations. the wings would be limited to 5 ft max beam.

no reason to teak the shape into a fixed configuration unless there is a good reason to.

4. Stephen Ditmore

Thank you for the two answers above. Is there a set of rules as they currently exist published somewhere? Where would I learn more about the "heavy cargo load operations"? Is there a minimum weight? Is a rudder gantry allowed beyond the measured length?

5. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

Actually, I suspect the narrow, wall-sided boats will have an advantage with heavy loads, because the waterline beam won't increase as they are loaded up. They should have less drag when loaded than a design where the waterline beam increases as the boat is loaded. I believe they will also have less wetted surface when heavy laden that boats with flared sides.

For family use, it might be nice to have a boat that is sporty when sailed by one, but becomes more sedate as it has more people aboard. But for speed, a narrow boat with wings should be best, equal to those with flared sides when light, faster when loaded up.

As to the question of whether to tweak the shape, that's going to depend on what kind of boat you're trying to develop. If you want boats specialized for racing or sailing by fairly expert sailors, the rule is fine as it is, and keep in mind, that's what most development classes are about. I think you should let the boats race a bit, then decide what to do based on what the participants want before many more boats are started.

6. Sailor Alan

Sailor Alan Senior Member

Stephen,

Welcome to the forum.

The 'rules' to which we are working are published on Page 34, Post #497 with one minor caveat, overall rigged length. The hulls so far are all 14' between perpendiculars, 5' maximum beam, and the total overall rigged length, INCLUDING rudder, portable bow prods, portable bowsprits, and main boom overhang about 17', or perhaps 17.5' I'm not sure. My boat, and I think 'our' boats have a rigged length of about 17', but they are not completely finished yet.

You will notice in the rule set, provision for different classes of race, including 'raid' type events, and these require carrieing camping and other supplies, including crew, to a given specified weight. As this class of race is over a full day, provision for human power is also encouraged, rowing, paddling, or possibly a paddle wheel, but all such equipement must be carried in the boat at all times, and fall within the $600 U.S.

This is reminiscent of the old Mirror Class, where the boat, though improved by racing, is actually intended for a family's recreation.

7. Sailor Alan

Sailor Alan Senior Member

One way to test this is for you to design and build a skinny boat with 'wings' and race it against us across the full panoply of competition.
    I disagree that these rules will encourage specifically race orientated boats. As I understand it, Petro's proposed this class as encouragement for a cheap, and hopefull easy to build, and easy to sail, dinghy for family use, but with racing improving the bread. Hence the range of race types, from 'round the cans' to all day 'raids' requiring significant a significant 'picnic/camping payload.

I hope my boat wil indeed be 'sporty' sailed by one person, perhaps a bit too sporty unless the main is reefed, but will be a load carrier as well. It is also specifically designed so the crew could sleep aboard during a 'raid' type race, as more acceptable to me than fending off bears etc contesting their particular PNW island beach.

8. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

Richard is already building such a boat, which is good, because I don't think I'll be able to build this year. It will be interesting to see the outcome. We all enjoy different kinds of boats, and he's building the type he prefers, which is a good way to test the different types.

In the Pacific Northwest, raids often favor the boats that row well, because often the wind is light.

9. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Or you can always appeal to the Imperial Admiral, who likes doughnuts, and thinks that more boats in the fleet can't possibly be wrong.

But the doughnuts matter.

10. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

So we had a long first day building our 14ft Zest plywood racing dinghy at the Edensaw Challenge, an important part of the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival.

There are 5 teams. Two 14ft racing dinghies, (Petros and myself) a 14ft plywood rowing dinghy, a coracle and a traditional dory built entirely by hand tools

The build started at 9am, I hoped to finish Fridays jobs by 6pm so I could go to the Race to Alaska presentation (I raced in it this year). But it was not to be. We made a few mistakes that cost us time to make, and then correct. So we actually stopped work at 7.30pm. Other teams carried on until the stop time of 11pm

But, starting from scratch, we now have the bulkheads in, the hull bottom and hull sides all glassed together and the daggerboard box fitted. So we have a watertight boat that could be launched and paddled tomorrow morning

Today we fit the gunwales, cockpit and foredeck. Sunday is the deck gear and sailing
    The video from the first day is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydd2pKqtBs

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

11. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks for posting Richard. Nice to see a few pullsaws in use...;)

12. Stephen Ditmore

How great that you're doing this, Peter & Richard; and thank you, Peter, for this opportunity at an east-west collaboration. Can't wait to see the result!

Attached Files:

13. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

[​IMG]You've got to love the mirror finish on Richard's boat:

14. macbeath

macbeath Junior Member

[​IMG]This is Petros's boat. He didn't have as much help on his, so didn't get as far, but you can see the shape of it.

15. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.