new hull form for catrigged boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by adriano, Jun 20, 2012.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Adriano, hydrodynamics is hydrodynamics. Cat boats follow the same principles as any other sailboat, so understanding weather helm is just a function of study. As you know cats, because of several design decisions and compromises have inherent "issues". Many can just accept these and enjoy what they have. I've sailed a number of cats; old, working boats, a few real freaks and some standardized racers of a long lost era. Discounting the freaks, which were just beasts in most every regard, the original working cats where fairly mild mannered, with the racers taking their manners away, in an effort to get more speed out of them. They all still exhibited breed indicative habits and issues, severity closely tied to the extremity of the deviations, from their original work boat roots.

As a rule fat, shoal draft boats will have handling issues, though you can take steps to ease some of them (tandem boards?), they'll still persist at some level. I personally don't like fat boats, unless it's a dinghy and it's girth serves to help it get up and scoot at 3 times hull speed. I also don't find fat boats very attractive, though Gil had success making them look okay.

I think you could find a more conservative approach to the hull form, yet still maintain the feel of the cat, particularly if rigged as such.

2. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Hi Paul,
    I do appreciate any of yr comments since I know you as passionated designer into finest details!
    I do agree with everything you're mentioning but fortunately or unfortunately I do not like those straight lines on a sail boat but rather tumble home kind of midship, nice curved sheer line and also I lean towards spoon bow rather than clipper bow. I found a curved boat more naturally blends with her element. All these forms may have advantages and disadvantages but as we know a boat is always a kind of compromise!
    Somehow that's pleasing my eyes and think this has its importance once we talk about pleaure boat. Anyhow this my perseption but I respect anybody's else view.
    On the other hand, frankly I am not very much attracted by those original catboats which were short and beamy and I think " Lucille" was a perfect (for me nice proportions)) evolution from working boat to pleasure boat by increasing length/beam ratio, anyhow she has the best lines for me to call her still a catboat. Gil's last evolution into sleek racing yacht
    "Edna" is a little too far for me, I think she is losing the beauty of a Cat boat breed.
    Obiousely these're all personal feelings which we can endless discuss on!
    Adriano

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It sounds like you don't really like cat boats so much, as well shaped traditional racers. Counter sterns, spoon bows, lots of shape to the topsides, etc. wouldn't be typical of a cat boat, but is of some class and open racers of several eras.

Maybe you need to refine what you find most desirable. Yes, Gil's work was wonderful, but there's much more out there. Have a look at some of the universal rule S, R and & Q class boats, possably some of the early CCA designs. Some were freaks, but many just magnificent. Or maybe a look at LFH's Quite Tune, H-28 or some of the other greats offerings. Some of these boats are still stunning and very capable sailors. You'll get you butt handed to you down wind, against a modern craft of the same size, but in a rough slosh to windward, you might just get them. Phil Rhodes drew up some splendid pieces as have S&S.

Have a look around, I think you like something other then cat boats.

4. adriano

adriano Senior Member

Hi Paul,
    Definitely there are many other boats which I like,may be some more some less , every single sail boat has her own fascination in my opinion.
    In this case I am very much attracted by those beautiful lines and I stick with them of "Lucile". F.e. within this breed another nice (to me) classic gaff cat rigged boat is "Gipsy" (originally "Witch") by BB Crowninshield under the Seawonhaka rule but again this boat might better perform than Lucile but her sheer line is not that classic to me.
    I know I'm a though guy to change mind! may be I am too old-fashioned?!
    Adriano

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.