New Floor Help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tonsofun88, Jul 20, 2013.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

please don't confuse the issue its early days yet !

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Very true FMS and the floor boards in the sole, just add to the confusion.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

good news to make everone happy and over the moon !!

Sunday will be my last day of looking and posting here !!
    I am headed out for a time on tour and will only be checking personal emails that's all and that wont be very often !!
    so enjoy the peace and quiet while you can !! :p

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the cheapest plywood u can find is just fine.what you do is cut to fit,drill all or any holes needed and after it is completly cut and ready to be put down you paint the whole piece both sides all ends all holes,,everything with fiberglass resin.this will last longer then any marine ply or any other kind of wood. the foam they used in your boat is a 2 part foam.its liquid,,mix part a with part b,,pour out,,stand back lol,,you can use almost any foam,,but closed cell foam is the best,,,other then the 2 part foam.as of why its there,,,its there for a reason,,the people who made your boat love money,,and in no way wasted any of thiers making your boat, so if they spent the extra man hours and money on it,,it must be there for a reason,,trust me theres a couple reasons..

5. tonsofun88

tonsofun88 Junior Member

Here are some better up close pictures of the stringer.

Attached Files:

6. tonsofun88

tonsofun88 Junior Member

First picture is a 2x4 under the concel just held in plac with a pice of fiberglass. 2nd is a shot of the fiberglass the comes up and over hte edge of the stringer and where the fiberglass starts, 3nd is up close pic of the rotted out stringer. Anyone else heard of this two part foam? is this the way to go about is. sounds easier then shapeing a big block of foam,

7. tonsofun88

tonsofun88 Junior Member

Boat_8.jpg

Boat_9.jpg
    Ok so this piece of glass came up and went parcially over the stringer. My question is can I cut the top lip off the glass and to finish removeing the foam. Then sand it lay fiberglass over it once the stringer is in place so its a nice tight fit. OR is it better to cut the whole thing out and lay up a whole new piece? Need help plz

8. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I have first hand experience with the 2 part floatation foam. We used it when re-flooring our 19ft bow-rider runabout. We stripped out the old ply and old soaked foam. After a thorough cleaning out and drying we screwed new ply down into the stringers. We had cut a small access hole into each compartment which the stringers made when covered by the ply. We mixed & poured the foam into the compartment (with room for expansion!). After pouring, we quickly screwed the plug to the access port down. The foam expands quite a bit and really tightened up the ply! If you pour too much it would press the ply off the stringer if not fastened well enough. After the foam cured we glassed over the whole floor with mat & resin. Then finished with some outdoor carpet. I'm pretty sure that the floor will out live me & my kids! That thing was rock solid when done, better than new.

9. tonsofun88

tonsofun88 Junior Member

I wish mine could have been that easy. I dont know if you can see the floor on the boat well but I have no place to screw any wood down to until i put the boat down. There was foam sitting right against the hull. on top of the foam there are two stringers. one on each side. that is held in place by glass mat the goes up the side of the foam and over the edge of the stringer and is reinforced with staples. so until I can figure out how to put foam down Im stuck. I want to do it the right way I just dont know what that is. I was thinking about pouring the foam in. then shaveing out a spot and putting the stringer in but im not sure thats even possible. I think I need a big block of foam and cut and shave to fit. But I have never done this and dont even know where or what kind of foam to get. Type? Brand? Lost...

10. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

The Stringers aren't tight against the bottom of the hull?

11. tonsofun88

tonsofun88 Junior Member

Nope. That would make all this so simple. Unless there is no stringer because its a tri hull. Ive stripped all the foam down to the hull and theres nothing there. If you go through the pictures. You will see some fiberglass ...i dont know what to call it other then a channel. Underneith that channel was what I was told was a stringer and it was stapled through the glass. Underneith all of that 2x6 peice of wood was foam. So I cant put the plywood floor down and fill it with the foam because there is nothing to hold the floor up until theres foam. Thanks again for help and advice