New build hull turnover

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wayne Grabow, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

PAR,

Just spent a looooong time on that site and also on his personal pages, VERY interesting stuff there, thanks for the link.

I had many long arguements when I was working in China recently regarding lofting the lines and making the boat "look" right, rather than following the plans, ended up they followed the plans, cos that was what they believed to be "correct"...yous and Rogers explanations will allow me to "prove" my point in future...it is hard sometimes when all my books are at home and I am 5000 miles away, but I have copied all the articles to my computer now, so I can explain the case better in future. Thanks mate.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have an explanation I did here several years ago John, but Roger just worded it better, so I use his. If you are trained to design yachts, then this generally isn't an issue, most learn to expand the sheer after the first few customers complain about the sheer looking powder-horned. Naturally, those that build have run into this situation and have fixed it "on site" which can often times be a real pain in the butt. This is how I learned, from an old loftsman that showed me how to put down lines and fix the common issues, like transom and sheer expansions. It's these little things that separate the men from the boys and they generally are very obvious to the experienced, but not so much the novice, which tends to make their work stand out more. I blame Bolger for all this (and told him so on more then one occasion) for his sheers where usually right on, but look oh so simple, making many thing, "hell I can do that". He wore it as a badge.