Need to make my turtle run more like a Rabit

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by LEASEGUY, Jul 17, 2007.

1. LEASEGUY

LEASEGUY Junior Member

I have 1975 27 ft Silverton single screw vdrive set up with a 318cu v8 225 hp
    with a 2:1 reduction. At 3000 rpm I belive im turning 1500 prop revolutions =like 12 mph.
    max recomended rpm is 4200, boat goes real nice at 4000 but you need a flak jacket to walk aft at that speed.
    question 1) is possible to build a high perf version capable of confortably runing at 4000-4500 with existing block and would the vee drive support it?

or go with a high torque motor and go one to one, no reduction.

i know i really need a boat with twins but not in the cards right now

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I don't have much experience with your type boat but something sounds very wrong! At 3000rpm you should be doing way better than 12mph. Could the prop be slipping?

Tim

3. LEASEGUY

LEASEGUY Junior Member

maybe it just seems like 12, prop is solid no bushing. any other ideas?????

1 person likes this.
  4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Gives us more history on problem and boat?

It could be anything from your descript. Once I had a boat with your problem and I hadn't notice a garbage bag stuck under my hull.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Others with more experience will help more.

If you have or can borrow a GPS that would give you a good indication of your speed. Take into account any current when determining your speed.

Hope things work out for you.

Tim

6. LEASEGUY

LEASEGUY Junior Member

Had this bost 9 years its the nature of the beast I want to change, end of season im rippin something out, willing to change engine trans and vee drive
    I just need some direction re: replacement units that will give me some( can you call 25 mph speed?)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.