Need some help from the experts. Thinking about creating a floating city.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by seasteader, Jan 10, 2015.

1. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

So it has a methane plant?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

You win:D

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Don't knock the train submarine. Its going to part of the floating city's public transportation network. The taxs may be a bit steep divided by the 6 residents.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It really would be a case of, to paraphrase the old song, "we built this city on rock and roll", the motion of a 100 foot barge floating on the open sea would not suit many people I know as a 24/7 proposition, and especially not her ladyship. In the doldrums perhaps, but then what is going to power-up the air-con in those climes ? :rolleyes:

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Surely that massive island of polymeresia that they will moor within would calm the seas, exports would be the reclaimed plastic products constantly replenished by the greedy & wasteful nations they have escaped from, great garden islands would flourish & nourish built out milk jugs lashed together with strips of plastic, dry land could be dredged from the sea bed with pumps powered by anaerobic digested plastic fuel & the soil washed & watered by solar distilled desal plants made from plastic.
    The whole beauty of this model being the relationship of the seastead with dependance funded by the perpetrators of the need to escape unjust tyranny of the majority....

Jeff

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Technical problems which should solve the naval architecture and marine engineering are silly compared to many other types of problems to be solved. Just to mention one of them : how to get passengers to support each other without being able to flee at any given time ?. Best of many cruise trips is that only last a week or 10 days.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll add there has never been a successful libertarian society or government. I think free range hamster wheel powered generators, will supply the electricity.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Nothing wrong with hamster wheels.....

9. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Folks are having fun I see.

I do think it more reasonable to have a large houseboat, in the old unpowered sense, and a tender with a good engine and skulking unobtrusively, basically hiding, than going to sea.

Register in a state with lower boat taxes, cost of living and ample coastline ... the Gulf Coast has lots of places to skulk ... just lay in a good supply of mosquito netting.

If you could get an old shrimper boat for your tender you'd have a ready source of income, and more importantly something constructive to do rather than sit around and get annoyed with each other, though you'd need to jump through the associated hoops.

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Table of Contents

Seasteaders could just get on with Poppa Neutrino & Capt Betsy, reprogram their inner software & come to terms with the four jailers.

12. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

WOW I'm dumbfounded............ where that dam bottle of rum......

1 person likes this.
  13. seasteader

seasteader Junior Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Ill try and respond to all that I can.

First we will import, then we might try growing. I suppose it really depends on what direction the economy goes towards.

Direct democracy with a constitution that is very restrictive toward the scope of government. I am working on the constitution now. Ill post it online when I am done with it.

Thanks for the support. Ill try and keep you guys up to date, and ill post a link to the website when I get it up. Ill also probably post the occasional question as well.

Sorry to anyone whos post/question I overlooked. :)

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah that very restricted government thing has been tried and has always failed too. Good luck with that, though just having a good look at Americas post revolutionary government, might give you a clue as to why it can't work.

15. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.