need some advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by txaggie08, Jan 13, 2005.

1. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

Ive always wanted a boat i could take out into the gulf of mexico. ever since i was a little kid when my dad was still alive. So this summer i think i wanna take a stab at it. The two sets of plans ive found that strike me as less expensive, yet fitting my want, are the noyo trawler and the kona kai from Glen-l. Ive got a pretty good background with woodworking, and acces not only to an extremely talented craftsman, but a full out woodworking shop(my uncle is a very good carpenter).

Now that ive given you half my life story Smile heres my question. Am I just kinda....scuse the cliche'd phrase.....farting in the wind trying to do this. Im not worried about the motivation factor, but im not shure i can do it, since ive never built a boat before. a little encouragment, or a "dont do it save yourself the time and cash" would help.

i would also be open to other suggestions in that size range(has to be trailerable)

thanks and gig'em

2. Tin Man

Tin Man Guest

I truly believe that anyone is capable of anything if they want it bad enough.

From my own experience building my first boat a few years ago, make sure you consider things like:

1. If you are married, your spouse absolutely has to be on board with this project. It will take longer than you think. That should not deter you, but it won't be enjoyable if you have to fight for every working hour.

2. You said "trailerable", but how do you define that. What is your vehicle capable of pulling, how far do you pull it, and how good are the launches that you intend to use.

3. Make sure that you have the financial resources. Many people make the mistake of estimating only the hull and engine material costs. Consumables can eat you up, and all the small stuff required to outfit the boat adds up. Again, not a deterent, just think it through.

4. Constructive self criticism - You must be able to recognize your own mistakes, learn from them, and move on. It is difficult even now for me to look at my first boat without noticing some of her flaws. But in the end, I did something that 99% of the general population (the people on this board being the obvious exception) would never attempt. I cannot overstate the sense of accomplishment that you feel when people shake their heads and call you crazy. A few really think it, but I have found that many people are secretly jealous.

5. Time management - Can you manage your other family / job comittments.

My kids tell people that "Dad can build anything". I hope that when they grow up, their kids will say that about them.

Tin Man

3. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

well im a college student so this is going to be mainly a summer project. No wife but a girlfriend of 2 years i love very much :). that makes me feel a bit better to hear something like that. trailerable is going to be maybe 40 miles top end with a chevy pickup. truck is a v-8 chevy 1/2ton thats been converted to one ton leafs(actualy add a leaf kinda deal) in the back(ive seen it tow a mack dump truck......). My goal is to produce something between about 25-30' that can be towed without the use of a large truck(possibly could find a larger truck to tow it with, especialy considering how far in the future that is). One thing about this, i know it may take 4-5 years to finish....minimum. if i could do it in three i would fall over in shock. This is mainly something i want to BUILD as much as use. i love to do things with my hands. it was also something my dad wanted to do with me before he died, but never got the chance(although i think he was thinking a little smaller). Do you have suggestions on the best design for a fishing boat in this range? i was looking at the noyo because it seemed simple clean and easy to modify to my designs(im assuming changing the deck hous is fairly simple)

4. Dr. J

Dr. J Junior Member

To give yourself an idea if this is something you are willing and capable of, try reading up on the subject first. Boatbuilding by chapelle and Beuller's backyard boat building are a couple of decent reads. The first being more in depth than the second. As has been stated, if you have the time, money and wherewithall, then give it a go. Just make sure that the boat you are planning to build has been proven to perform well in the area that you plan to use her in. Consulting those who do this for a living, and ensuring everything is built to standards is also important.(No cutting corners...) If this is a dream of yours, then you will always regret it if you don't follow through. Have fun, it should be a great adventure!

5. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

so asre there any other suggestions besides the plans i talked about,on a boat to build.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Go over and visit www.woodenboat.com and jump into the "woodenboat forums" section. There are several forums at hand - "Building & Repair" and "Designs" would suit your needs right now. Beware thet the "Misc. Non-boat Related" can get pretty mean and silly.

Can you build a boat? If you follow instructions well and don't try to out-think the plans you will do fine. Just take your time and think things through before you plunge into a task. And be prepared for the grim reality that it will take longer and cost more than you planned. Not a lot, just enough to worry you at the 75% complete stage. <grin>

7. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

thaks for throwing a link to another forum. I love forums......godly wealths of knowledge

8. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

i clcik the link and get an error

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are several keys to success for a backyard boat builder.

Lay down a realistic budget. You can't finish a boat project if you can't afford to finish it.

Build within you abilities. Most folks with ideas of building a boat, usually try to make a boat that is much to big to get completed before the baby comes or the wife kicks you out or there's enough weekly progress to keep you, the builder interested. There are plenty of unfinished boats out there, that will likely not get finished, because they bit off more then they could chew.

25 to 30 foot power boats are big projects. Read into that, time consuming (years), money eating (many thousand), body part harming (go easy with the sharp pointy stuff), marriage destroying beasts, that can quickly get out of hand for a person less familiar with some of the choices needed to get the thing splashed and wave hopping.

The average pleasure craft in this country is under 20 feet and powered by an outboard. Okay, it's not as glamorous as the cruiser that can make the hop over to the Bahamas every so often, but you'll probably use it more, because it's a lot easier to setup, launch, recover and de-rig then a big 6000 pound cruiser. By the way, unless you've found some special design, that 30 foot yacht will require a lot more then the 1/2 ton you running around in.

Schedule, schedule. schedule, and did I mention scheduling? You can schedule just about everything form swap meet deals to hanging planks. Knowing how you're doing during the project can go a long way to keeping you on track. It also helps you get organized. It's nice to know you'll have knocked the sheathing off the list by the end of the month. I'm in the forth year of a big project (50 footer) and I'm right on track a month or so behind (we had a few hurricanes mess the place up pretty good this summer)

Buy in bulk when you can. Lumber, paint, fasteners, everything is cheaper and easier to order if you buy in big chunks, rather then run down to the local hardware store each time you need a box of #10 2 1/2" stainless screws or a 2 x 4. Most local hardware store owners will work a deal with you if you show him a list and have him order it for you all at once (they get better prices in bulk too)

You have to be a stick to it kind of person. There isn't any instant gratification in boat building, just scars on your hands come launching day, but it will be one of the most memorable days of your life. Ranking right up there with your wedding day . . . okay, better then your wedding day.

Anyone that can follow instructions can build a boat. You attach one piece to the next until you are finished. It's not rocket science and it's not that hard, though some of it will test you and the other half at times.

Now get off your butt, pick a doable design and have at it man . . .

10. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

One of the reasons i want the big cruiser is cause i do big waterfishing.....well i enjoy it anyway. I just got hold of a 3/4 ton pickup that were putting a big block in so :). Im gonna spend the next three months reading and looking at designs. I think with the help ive gotten on board its doable. :D

11. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Agree wholeheartedly with Par. Seem to hear an awful lot of people that have never built anything wanting to start out with a 45' + boat project. I can virtually guarentee that it will never be finished, might as well take a huge pile of cash and set fire to it, it's alot less work.

But I also agree that building is very rewarding, just have to pick something reasonable as a first project.

Also realistically if you have no boating experience, buy a 16' runabout or daysailer and use it for a season, then think about what you really want to build.

I went from a homebuilder to a professional builder and now back to it being a hobby. Much more fun having building as a hobby.

Bill H.

12. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

the only reason i want to start with somethin in the 24-27 foot range is money in the long run. Icant afford to outfit a boat and use it for one or two season then work on another.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're bent on it, stick to the 24' end of this scale. The difference in a 24' boat compared to a 27' boat is as much as several thousands pounds and much bigger gear and equipment. This will keep your costs down some what. I have a 25'er and 27'er in my yard right now, both of the same construction method and outfitting. The 25'er is a 3,700 pound boat the 27'er is 6,800 pound vessel. Both are of light professional construction. Two feet doesn't seem like much, but it can be all the difference in the world. You'll be building by the pound so figure accordingly.

14. Par , please tell about a strong, build jig of good quality to hold the weight. And where, and how to, and when to move it from the assembly area to a trailer. Not all kits mention that up front.

15. txaggie08

txaggie08 Junior Member

theres that big of difference in weight ?!?!?!?!?! wow im glad you said that. i will definetly look at something like the kona kai from glen-l then. thats an absolutley massive difference. Any suggestions on a boat design in this range? i want something for fishing, not realy a pleasure craft.