Need help and advice - fiberglassing new wood boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Dave T, Sep 13, 2011.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

To repeat an old old comment. It depends on what the boat is used for, which we don't know.

It is interesting to me no one has asked if the boat will be epoxy coated inside also. Rot due to water comes from anywhere and there are a lot more places for water to puddle inside the boat. I remember from about 20 years ago, the Gougeons suggested that if you only do either inside or outside, you should do inside, this assumed you would have a cabin that can be closed up.

2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Yes I will be coating the inside with both epoxy resin and 6oz. cloth. If the fumes aren't too bad I will get it done this winter. My shop is heated all winter with gas and wood. Which reminds me I gotta git my butt in gear and cut wood. I'd much rather work on my boat. I'm making a trip to our local junkyard tonight to look at a bunch of used and junk outboard motors for my motor conversion. Maiden voyage will be with my son in laws 15 horse merk on the Wapsipinicon river. Next summer I will run it on the Mississippi I'm trying to get a spot at Buena-Vista where I can leave my camper year round. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm still looking for info on marine paint.

Thanks again,
    Dave T

3. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Briggs outboard motor conversion

Found a chrysler 12.9 horsepower outboard. The motor was shot but the transmission is ok. I removed the motor and lower unit and took out the water pump impeller and plugged the inlet and outlet. I took out the the shift rod and threaded the top and put on a 1/4" rod end that will connect to the new shift lever. I tore down the old motor and removed the crankshaft. I then cut off the splined end it is 3/4" OD so it it will be easy to weld into a lovejoy type coupler that way I don't have to do anything to the drive shaft. I have to get some 3/8 or 1/2" aluminum plate to bolt to the center section and to the briggs. So far this seems to be a pretty easy conversion I should change the oil in the lower unit. what type and weight oil should I use? Since the outboard 2 cycle engine ran at 4500 to 5000 RPM and the briggs about 3200 to 3400 max any suggestions as to props? I can only increase the diameter about 1/2 to 3/4".

Dave T

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.