Need Correction on Righting Lever (GZ) Estimation/Calculation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by egeabi, Mar 28, 2024.

1. egeabi

egeabi New Member

Hi everyone,

I need to estimate Righting Moment (RM) for my final project, and actually i did some calculations but i need corrections.

An old project quoted a document named "Bureau Veritas, 1993, Classification and Certification of Yachts", but I could not access the document. ChatGPT suggested the following formula when i asked. First of all, can you confirm that the formula is true? (given as ChatGPT formula (1))

And, if it is not true, ISO 12217:2 says you can estimate θGZmax (Angle of heel of maximum righting lever) as formula below. Is it possible for me to obtain GZ arm from that angle? or is it possible to obtain RM directly form that angle? (given as ISO formula for max angle (2))

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. egeabi

egeabi New Member

nvm, i've just found someone knows how to use Maxsurf Stability. But still i’d be apprecied if someone can clarify the first entry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.