need a catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by navaleng, Dec 6, 2008.

1. navaleng

navaleng New Member

hi every body, i m new on this site...i m at the last year of naval enginering in Naples and i ll want to do for my thesis a catamar of 32-38 m at 30 kts for only passenger... i would like to say if someone can give to me some plans or offset of a catamaran of this dimension or where i can find it to start my project.
    this is my email
    navaleng@hotmail.it

sorry for my english and thank you

2. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

contact wharram

3. navaleng

navaleng New Member

thank you very much but i dont know who is WHARRAM or what s WHARRAM...
    is it a builder???

4. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

James Wharram is a designer Catamarans from 14 foot to 63 Foot home build.just go to his website James Wharram Design

5. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

what size do you want

6. navaleng

navaleng New Member

thanks...35 or 38 meters...only for passenger at 30 kn....

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

No Wharram I know of will do 30 knots. They're double-ender sailing cats, narrow V hulls with a lot of rocker- essentially a modern interpretation of boats that have been criss-crossing the Pacific since a thousand years before the Europeans figured out how to make a raft go more-or-less in the direction you point it. I like his designs, they're elegant and cost effective, but they're pure displacement sailing craft and will not do 30 knots under power.

It sounds like you ought to start by looking at the big cat ferries used in Australia as well as a few high-volume, high-speed routes in other areas. A 32-38 m craft capable of 30 knots is a major engineering effort, involving a huge amount of computer simulation, several engineers to design and model-test the hull, and several dozen more to figure out how to power it and how to keep it from breaking up in a seaway. It'll be a challenging, but very enlightening, thesis project. Best of luck,

8. Chris Bretter

Chris Bretter Zaphod

Did not read properly sorry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.