Naval vs. Nautical

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by taz1004, Mar 14, 2005.

1. taz1004

taz1004 New Member

I've been having discussion with collegue about what is proper term to use to categorize yacht industry.

I believe it should be naval but I'm being told that it implies navy and therefore nautical is proper term to be used. But I haven't seen the word nautical being used anywere in yacht industry.

I would like to know what the expert's opinions are.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

"Navis" is latin for ship, therefor the operative is "naval" for ship matters. Naval Architecture is about the structure of ships.

"Nauta" is latin of sailor and likewise "nautical" for matters about sailors. A Nautical Handbook if the necessary learning of a sailor.

The proper term for governmental orginization of ships (military or not)is "Admiralty". Admiralty Law is the code of laws about ships and shipping.

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Correcto. No doubt about that. - However: Naval Academy - is that a school for the merchant (navy?)

If I am a Naval Architect: what I am doing? Designing war ships?

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

If you are in a naval academy, you are in a school to learn about ships. If you are a naval architect you design ships. If you are in the Naval Academy you are in a school about the Navy and may be learning Naval Engineering.

I can't help it that some old french guy, who couldn't speak either latin or english properly, convinced some old english guy to go along with the improper contracted singular of "naval" as "Navy" and so perjoratated the word for the last millennium. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Ok - only to some extend - it is a fact that in the Anglosaxon language there is no proper distinction between Merchant-Marine and Navy.
    The Dutch ( inventors of the yacht) make a proper distinction: Marine = Navy;
    Koopvaardij = Merchant Marine; Nautic (Nautisch) is anything that is connected to seafaring;

But the French - and I agree with you - make a real mess of it:

Navy= Marine Militaire
    Merchant Marine = Marine Marchand
    Warship = Cuirassier (sounds like cruiser but is not the same)

corect me if I am wrong......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.