Naval Architect

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jammer Six, Jul 27, 2014.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Ideally, the designer design the boat thinking of the shipyard that will build, thinking of mechanical, human and technical resources that the yard possesses. But this does not always happen that way. It is also very normal that the Construction Manager is not the same person as the designer. Normal yet is that the shipowner's inspection team has nothing to do with boat designers and, of course, nothing to do with the construction shipyard. So although it would be nice, it is not necessary that the designer lives in the house next to the shipyard.

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yes, but to OP did say small. And he hasn't mentioned any of those people, who would probably have answered his question already. Small to me means a build managed by fewer people than you listed. People wearing more than one hat. The question is which people and what hats.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

philSweet, I do not know how many people do you think I'm talking about or what hats you mean. I speak of an owner, a designer and a builder shipyard, which generally have their production manager. The shipowner's "inspection team" may be formed by one person, the owner himself, How many people and how many hats would you dispose of this process?.
    We have to tell the OP, in my opinion, further designer, he may need other things and, in some cases, the designer can not make or does not have to do them.
    The OP should not stay with the idea that he buys the design from a NA and the boat is done.

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I agree completely with you TANSL. Probably, I just used an idiom you weren't familiar with. My goal was the same as yours - to try to figure out what the OP wanted the designer to do. The OP seems to have vanished.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.