My Youtube Videos

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Richard Woods, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

They say that a picture tells a thousand words. Well, a video can do even better. It is very difficult to get a good idea of a boat from a description, photos help, but really a video is the best thing next to actually sailing on the boat oneself.

In the early 1990's I made two 45 minute videos (analogue on VHS tape, which took forever to edit and the quality was not great). However they sold well and received good reviews in the press - Yachts and Yachting wrote a review of the "Day Sail to Russia" video and said "This is a highly entertaining film...it is an inspiration to all small boat sailors who fancy something different"

While the second, "Multihull Sailors Have More Fun!" is still a great introduction to understanding what multihull sailing is all about.

However it wasn't until the advent of digital cameras and Youtube 10 years ago that it became easy for everyone to take and view videos. As always, it takes me some time to join modern trends, so it wasn't until 2008 that I started my own Youtube channel, which you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WoodsDesigns.

I try to upload regularly, and there are now over 130 (mainly short) videos on my channel.

I have been completely amazed at both the number of subscribers and, especially, the views my videos have had. There are now nearly 1000 subscribers, while the reason for posting this is to say that in the next few days the view total will pass the ONE MILLION mark!! Currently it is over 995,000 and there are about 600 daily views. Sadly I think I will miss the magic number as we will be away cruising on our Skoota 28 powercat.

So thank you all for watching, and please subscribe so you will know when I upload more. This is peak video-taking time, as we will be cruising for a few weeks this summer, and of course we will also be cruising our Skoota power catamaran south to the Bahamas this winter - which is always a great location for videos.

You can see the DaySail to Russia video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8mwQFaNsM8

and Multihull Sailors Have More Fun! here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7UjcDLUWQ

Making the Day Sail to Russia video (the first video I ever made) was much more work than I had expected. These days one sees many travel documentaries and it is easy to forget that there are usually at least three unseen people involved, the cameraman, the sound man and the director. We had none of those. Nor did we have an accompanying helicopter, drone or even motorboat!

I had to sail while I filmed, and, as it is much easier to video while motoring than while bashing to windward in big seas! (especially with a broken autopilot), you will see much more motoring than sailing, although the reverse was actually what really happened

Also note that, unless essential, my recent videos have no sound. Adding audio complicates the editing and many people, like myself, don't want to disturb family and workmates while on Youtube.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

1 person likes this.
  2. HydroNick

HydroNick Nick S

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.