My Small Bluewater Trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Prismatic, Jan 26, 2014.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I dont see anything boat about it. Got any better pics? Not saying I dont like the shapes.

2. groper

groper Senior Member

Prismatic - before you waste anymore aluminium, do yourself a favour and build a model first to test these theories of yours...

Heres an example of someone who beleived they had the next best thing since sliced bread, which the rest of the world thought was an ugly monstrosity and would not meet the owner/builders wild performance claims.... turns out the rest of the world was right.

Full story from build to splash here - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/beaus-boat-9093.html

And now for sale here - http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/custom/116571

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Interesting that the original claim was that 2x30 hp outboards would give 20 knots, but now on the market with 2x90hp and claimed speed 15 knots. Odds of anyone shelling out 110k for it, one million to one !

4. Mr Efficiency

You and me too, I am completely unable to make out which way is up, the only reason for believing it is a boat is because the OP says it is, otherwise it looks like a masterpiece of modern art. :D

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

It is not nice to belittle another mans inspired efforts. That being the case, I will stick my oar in here with care and respect.

Prismatic, you are very far off target. Please put your build on hold for a while. Get a copy of Marchaj's book, Skenes book, Gerrs book, and study them carefully before you strike another arc. You are almost certainly building a disappointment and possibly a fatal one.

Our members are hydrodynamicists, physicists, engineers, naval architects, and vastly experienced boat people. They would be remiss to withhold their knowledgeable commentary. So you are getting some of it. Listen to them.

Peace.

6. Mr Efficiency

Not meaning to disrespect him, but whether by my lack of comprehension or the inadequacy of the photos, I am not able to get a mental picture of what this thing is, even which end is which, or even if it is the end and not the side. It might have been better to post the drawings that he has done, that were used to build it. The more pics I see, the less I understand it. Apologies to the OP if it appeared he was being made fun of.

7. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback...OP doesn't mind the critique! As I stated in my first post this is a very "unconventional" boat or moving platform (Is a party barge a boat or moving platform? Hmmm) Maybe I put the cart before the horse but here is what the finished product will look like.....three inverted tetrahedron sponsons in a delta formation with pilothouse on top

Attached Files:

8. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

Attached Files:

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's an old saying about needing to "change your models" that would seem to apply here. The best advise has been offered and the next best advise is to make no more predictions about what she'll be able to do, therefore you will not be let down by the reality of what it does on launch day.

10. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

Advice taken...thanks! No more predictions from me:!:

11. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

Check out the sketch and also a boat with a somewhat similar design above...

12. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

That boat was a hundred times better than the majority of people on here ever accomplished, so I would not use it as an example to be critical of others ambitions.

This particular triangle boat is interesting, but seems more a platform than a boat.
    The pointy bottom adds more weight to add stability, but creates only resistance for propulsion would be my take.

13. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

This design goes hand in hand with this theory of sliding through waves versus climbing them

14. Prismatic

Prismatic Junior Member

Thanks! I too felt it would add stability at the expense of added resistance. The wetted surface area is much less with the open mid section however.

15. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I would appreciate seeing how you calculate this compared with a monohull of the same displacement

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.