My personal "Dream Boat"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lewisboats, Jan 15, 2007.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I finally shelled out the $$$ for an all in one scanner/printer...so I can share my dream boat napkin sketch of the profile and accomodations plan. It is an old fashioned double ender LOA around 40 ft. The shear might change a bit and there might be some other alterations but this is pretty much it. Will I ever get to see it built...I doubt it but it is nice to dream

Steve

Attached Files:

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

make it happen ,,lewisboats

3. bbsboat

bbsboat Junior Member

greatu can make it yourself

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Going to use a drafting board or a computer program next?

Are you using an existing boat hatch as an example on how to get up and down the ladder? I'm interested in headroom issues, if you have a link or two on this I'd like to see it for my own napkin/graph paper design.

Looks cool, thanks for sharing.

5. lewisboats

I've modeled the hull in Freeship and done a whole bunch of revisions to it...getting the shape just so...only to look at it a month or 3 later and start fiddling with it again (When I said this is pretty much it, I meant the layout and overall style and design). I am currently an inactive student of YDS's course and their Rhino course too (I started this back up last night), so I hope to get it to decent drawings someday. Headroom worked out to about 6'6" (2m) at the peak...losing only a couple of inches fore and aft in the ends of the main cabin area. Below is the original hull (best effort) and the latest iteration. Sorry no links but this is as far as it has gotten. I'm wondering now if I can fit the accomodations to the newer hull shape or if I will have to arrange things a bit differently. Truth be known...it is really designed for only 1 or 2 people to go wherever they want to (within reason of course).

I say that it probably won't be built as the list of obstacles is long...starting with moving to a place near enough to salt water to consider building it, finding the real estate to build it on, having the time to build it and oh...having the money to start the whole shebang in the first place. Still...I shall plug along and continue to plop a dollar or two on the powerball on the off chance...

Steve

Attached Files:

6. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Nice... sleek and beautiful with a full keel.:)

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Now that#s what I call a go anywhere boat! Crack on with it "Lewisboats", it can be done after all it's not as if it was anything impossible! You CAN do this buddy!

As Cap'n JeanLuc Pickard sez in Startrek "Make it so!" So maybe it takes a little time but doesn't anything worth doing?

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Is there anyway to make the sten the type you can climb back into if you fall overboard? With only two people, one of them perhaps asleep this might be a nice safety feature.

I forget the name of that kind of stern, here is a picture.

Cat form:
    [​IMG]

Mono Hull Form:
    [​IMG]

Sugar Scoop, that's it!

9. lewisboats

This has an outboard rudder so I would probably carve steps in it to climb up.

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate them to no end.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.