1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Frosty,
    The 10% gst return is well and truly lost in the surcharge for fuel bought at the fuel berth in most marina's and I understand can only be 'recognised' when purchased at the port of exit/customs clearance... There is also the matter of EXCISE - which is about 50% of the price and I cannot find where or how to get a rebate on that portion... I think that rebate used to be available?

Caution in planning a weather window is because there are shallow bars to cross (to get behind Fraser Island for example) to get to Tin Can Bay to fill my fuel tanks... and the way-points, (which change quite regularly), for that entry from the TCB Coastguard...

First objective is to find a job ... to buy a mast and sails as well as fuel and food etc.....

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Finding stuff out In Aussie is difficult it was'nt till I left that it became available.

Probably talking to members of a international yacht club might be best but I had to get my boat out of auss within 3 months of the date of issue of the bill of sale to avoid GST .

I just made it to Kembla harbour and hung off a rusty ole crane to qualify. I bit backwards Australia can be.

Maybe a quick effort may reveal similar none sense laws that can be got round if you know them saving thousands.
    I was told GST can not be reclaimed, strange the bloke at the GST reclaim department at Sydney airport disagreed and encouraged me to fill out a complaints form that he would personally send to Canbera and I would definitely receive a reply--that was 8 years ago.

In Australia if the pubs are open brains are closed and nothing else matters.

Yeah be alright mate, yeah. Not a good place for business.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Jebus you guys are being tortured on fuel over there. Just hurry up and get the coconut oil thing going and then your done with it, unless they slam your biz with a fuel tax which they might. Supposedly around here if your making your own fuel your supposed to declare it and pay some kinda tax, I'm still waiting to hear back from some orifice I sent off to for information. Something tells me that my farm plates exempt me from that one though as they exempt me from so much stuff its silly.

anyway you should be able to safely run even a DI engine with electronic injectors and a non mechanical pump on vegi oil as long as you clear the jets every time you shut it down and as long as you filter the holly crap out of the fuel, also helps out that injector a lot to heat the fuel. Might save you some money till you can get things rolling. Also if you end up running mostly WVO then think of optimizing the injectors to that fuel otherwise as an interum fuel it should work fine as long as you do as suggested, highly filtered fuel and clear the jets with diesel on the last few miles to port. Might help if you keep the fuel temp up to about +80°F if your experiencing any cold weather, IE heated engine room. Most important thing is to let the stuff settle out for a few weeks and then pore off the clear at the top, thats your fuel, the milky stuff is less suited to your engine, don't even think of using the darker sludge that settles out. Your going to get about a 50 to 75% yield pr gallon and use the rest in some other device. Oh and don't use Hydrogenated oils. Your good with researching stuff so look into it and see if it will work for you, check manufaturers specs on that engine and see what they say about it, there is a way and you have the will so best of luck.

yikes it spooky everything your going through Mass, I wish you the best and I'm sure you will get it worked out soonest
    you have my best
    B

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Boston,
    Take care yourself, Your "Boat ownership (NOT)" thread does not look optimistic?

Hi Frosty,
    Being retired, and without a full pension, I am in no hurry - except to find a job...

Bureaucrats are definitely worse than 'natures' parasites... They are the first thing that any respectful God should have as their first priority (eliminate all bureaucrats)...

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm a small fish in a big pond Mass and I doubt I'll ever receive anything resembling justice. One must remember that the American legal system is not designed to dispense justice it was primarily designed to protect the rich from the poor. which it seems to do quite well. So anyone with cash to spare can find "justice" in just about any situation. My only real goal is to prevent the next person from having to go through what I am. I never really said much cause I didn't want to look like an idiot for doing it but I resigned my position when I thought I would be back to guided fishing trips in Alaska which is my dream retirement. Lame as it sounds I trusted and pretty much only got bit in the ***. Spent last winter unemployed when I should have been working on the Princess and ended up having to find employment this summer so I could build a boat.

I frankly cant wait till this whole thing is over.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

could'nt you be an advisor for the Australian GST system.

Or get a job at a gas station where the perks could be extremely beneficial on the late Sunday night shift.

Or with your insight into financial world collapse maybe a job at Canbera.

Errrr! -- my house needs painting?

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Screw Australian politics / politicians, Why should I fix their stupid actions / inactions? - As for the other options,

Recent criminal activity makes that very unattractive in Australia

Bureaucrats give me the shits... Why should I fix their stupid actions / inactions / incompetence?

I guess I could enjoy painting your house... but isn't that a job reserved for locals?

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Weather looks good for departure about 16:00h z Friday 3rd June for arrival at the bar, (around 07:00 on Saturday morning 2 hours before high tide), of the "Great Sandy Strait" which makes a sheltered shortcut behind Fraser Island ... an overnight run under the new moon... We shall see... - 15 hours for about 96 miles = 6.4knots average? If I am early I can park in the lee of Double Island Point as the forecast winds are from W to SSE...
    http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/cha...pe=windbarb&level=10m&tz=AEST&area=Au&model=G
    http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=sigWaveHgt&tz=AEST&area=Au&model=WG

Andy worked wonders with a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT fuel tank for my 2.5hp Tohatsu outboard to go on my "rubber duckie"... His business, (MBMS.com.au) is looking to operate only via the internet... Website will be open and operating very soon for business... Moreton Bay Marine Services where the service is good...

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Mannie,
    I think I did not reply to your post 1365 on 28May... Both the Kubota/Nanni and Volvo are very similar, Kubota has a slower revving propeller with a 2.52:1 gear ratio Whilst the Volvo has 2.19:1... Spare parts in the islands are easier for Kubota, as it is popular in gensets and tractors...

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

we gotta get Daniel back into this crowd

I wonder how close to launch he is

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Boston,
    I have not heard from him for quite some time... I do not have his contact info... You go for it, if you have any info, send him a link to this thread...

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well Paul put up a link to his old web site but it doesn't look like its been updated since we've all last seen it. Hopefully he is just slacking waiting for the snow and mud to disappear. I'll chase him down eventually and see if he'd like to keep us a bit more directly posted as to how things are going.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Mass, thank you for coming to my rescue. I like to wish you a marvelous first voyage. (long distance) . Now you had 50% of the fun making your boat, enjoy now the other 50%, in sailing it. I have only seen some photo's, could you give me the link, where all your photo's are published?
    what made you decide to drop the battery/electrics idee? Cost, trouble?
    Bert

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Bert,
    Costs, battery reliability in remote regions (a dead battery could be quite disastrous) and AGM were robust but too heavy and - and - and - so it all got too hard and I chickened out to go sail-drives and Kubota diesels... Even so I ran out of money and no stick, no sails, no water-maker :eek: ... I need to go back into the workforce and find Au$30,000 to get the missing bits, - or, - sell "CNO" and build another ...

Torqedo and LiFePO4 are almost mature enough to reconsider for a remote cruising lifestyle, but price is still too high, and then there is the matter of getting an efficient genset for the 48V charging system...

I also have other projects such as making cold-pressed coconut oil for the food / health market and any 'contaminated stuff' or squeezing out a little more oil using high pressure expellers, I will use as fuel for compression ignition, 'diesel', engines...

Also on the agenda, - is to introduce a variation on significantly improving soils and agricultural yields with - charcoal / composting, permaculture and 'companion cropping' methodologies ... This will help in the recovery of the degraded soils, from the traditional slash-and-burn villager farming, and reduce the demand for chemical fertiliser and other imported chemicals ... as well as 'permanently' sequestering Carbon and potentially earning carbon credits...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.