1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

2. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Yea, if you sell your boat, you can spend your days worrying about money and global markets. You can have a pile of gold and silver to worry about. To what end.
    Enjoy your boat. That is living.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas what the problem here in Saffa is that all the news that you guys get is seriously one sided - it is correct - but hyped up.

When you look at Greece, Egypt and hundreds of those other "similar" countries, we are far better off than them. Saffa is like anywhere else - the "middle class" and upper, is all ok, the "disadvantaged" suffer. The politicians are corrupt and brain dead, just like 99.9% of all countries on this planet.
    We have many friends and family in Australia and New Zealand and my good buddy has the recording studio in Phuket. We Skype regularly and are resonably up to date on daily life all over. My children have friends working in Taiwan, South Korea, Shanghai and Bangkok.

The kids that "make" it in the East are better off than many others.
    I think we are even better off than the Americans.

So bottom line is I cannot say with conviction that I could live better elsewhere. In Afrikaans we have a saying "selfde drol - ander donkie se hol" loosely translated it means "same turd - different donkeys arse" and that is what we have seen with Saffa's in the OZ workplace, last in first out, foreigners first out.

Its like Frosty said, you need the pharmacy / drug store down the road. Just here local knowledge is important, like 99% of all countries worldwide.
    After 2008 I realised that you cant look into the future.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I've been very busy the last week....

Why are you seeking addies of remote places on a passed over thread of a back section of a boat design forum??

Within 3 seconds I found the phone # for that Wesley school, and figured out the admin of many of these places.

Have you tried all this ?:confused:

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its called procrastination.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Manie,
    Your quote I loved but again - Still I am inhibited from giving "rep" but it well deserved praise or "CREDIT" - - - "In Afrikaans we have a saying "selfde drol - ander donkie se hol" loosely translated it means "same turd - different donkeys arse"" I love it... I feel you may be correct on USA but "denialists" can be blind too...

- Australia is falling apart... Peters Principle in Management and describing bureaucracies has been taken one step further in that the "incompetents spend all their time stabbing in the back any upstart looking to climb the ladder of success... Hence little productive work is done and no 'progress in departmental responsibilities are made... Australia does not need the GEC to collapse, apathetic endeavours ensure successful demise...

Hi Westie,
    I do not seek the phone numbers - I have some but - PNG is a different environment to the "rush and efficiency USA", I seek NAMES and postal addresses as a courtesy and appropriate means of contact as per polite etiquette - Thanks...

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

8. masalai

masalai masalai

No 'darling', Justin Beaver is not my "friend" on twitter... and in remote regions of PNG telephones use HF radio links and a phone is an unusual privilege of the rich... Internet is fanciful dreaming...

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Some boat maintenance in progress... The propellers and drive legs are so heavily caked with a lush growth of barnacles that the propellers were totally ineffective - attributed to the warm, well fertilised brackish water from the rain run-off of recent days and a similar event 2 to 3 weeks previously and again before that :eek: - - In a week we recorded 5 inches... 10 inches or more fell earlier (rain-gauge overflowed)...

The image is poor as the battery in the camera was flat but the image is there... :eek: :D

Attached Files:

10. BigB73

BigB73 New Member

Nice Pic.

Hi Mas, Boat looks great on the dry, just had to post as your tender reminded me of a jack Russell I used to have that kept attacking peoples leg in the same amorous way as your tender appears to be attacking CNO....:D

1 person likes this.
  11. masalai

masalai masalai

Propellers and legs are now clean (barnacles removed) and the mind is now wandering in anticipation....... Seagulls still persist in leaving non-cash-deposits on the PV panels...

Attached Files:

12. masalai

masalai masalai

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

:) nothing like a beautiful sunrise over the water :)

Mas have you got the next "adventure trip" planned yet?

Nice little 3 days pub hopping?

Winter is on its way - so enjoy warm weather while you can

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

But -but you cant drink beer on a sunrise --thats disgusting. Im pretty sure you gotta turn the deck chair 180 degrees to point west and wait till its about 3 inches off the world --then you can drink beer.

If you spread your fingers wide then hold your hand up to the sun and place your little finger on the Horizon every gap in the fingers is 1 hour,---I think thats right,--yeah 1 hour.

Could do with a bit O that winter here, I keep saying I will put air con in the lounge Phew --- Sat in my underpants watching Dog the bounty hunter in 87 degrees,- ceiling fan floor fans,---had to go to bed to the air con.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Manie,
    Still trying to sort out a bureaucratic tangled web of confusion here in Australia relating to other matters.

Rout is planned all the way up to Cairns in easy 'daytrips', (910 N.Miles) - - thence across to Samarai for Customs (480 N.Miles) and around Goodenough, Fergusson and Normanby Islands in Milne Bay Province (some 360 N.Miles) followed by another 480 N.Miles back to Cairns... about 2230 N.Miles and about 1400 litres of fuel?

A few more fix-it-first tasks such as - - - Find a place to park the boat at very cheap prices.... and then, and then, and then - - Along came John, Slow talkin John............
    * Lowering berth height so there is better headroom for sitting up in/on the bed
    * installing some new '600L voyager' fuel tanks from http://www.turtlepac.com/en/products/super-deck-tanks.html
    * A watermaker 60 L/Hr - ? that would be really nice
    * a little 600 to 800 W genset for emergencies - I think that gets me sorted nicely but could go with less stuff............

Otherwise I will remain to potter up to the Whitsundays or a bit further north... - Sort of off the beer - an effort to get a bit fit and improve natural health...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.