My First Small Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dustymick64, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Dustymick64

Dustymick64 New Member

Hello! Um, first off let me say that I have built 5 very small boats so far which have turned out very well.:) I now would like to build my first sailboat. I have searched thru many websites for plans and at this time I have my eye on Phil Bolgers "Micro". Looks like a fun boat. Not to hard to build I would think. Any die-hard sailors out there who could give me a few pointers about this design? Anybody ever build one? It's ugly yet it kinda grows on ya. Looks like a neat beach cruiser. Any comments? Clues????

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Nice boat. But it has a shallow keel. I would think that would compromise its beachabillity somewhat.

Bob

3. Dustymick64

Dustymick64 New Member

I don't know. I built a PK-78 some time ago (Yeah it's only 8 feet long) but it had a lot of rocker to it and a very large skeg. Didn't effect my being able to run up on the beach. Seems that this boat has a flat bottom, so to my humble way of thinking, the largest amount of the weight would be on it. I have just talked with a nice fella who has one (Micro) and he said it sneaks up on the beach rather nicely. Didn't get a chance to ask how it sails... Maybe next time...

4. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

in regards to the Micro I have heard upwind perfromance is not so good.

A fellow that built one said to myself that his boat would not go to weather in a chop so he rebuilt it with a fin keel. Thus a leeboard/centerboad/daggerboard option may give beter results and assist in beaching.

n peter evans

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.