My boat cant catch fish

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Frosty, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My boat is absalutely usless at catching fish. You would think that for the money you pay for such modern designs that at least you would expect a fish or 2.
    I mean if Old Welly is right and the world does flood we shall need to catch fish to eat.

I just dont get fish!! they seem to swim around big dirty stinking fishing trawlers that will result in death for them. Yet my harmless modern design type thing,-- they dont want to know.

I can see then in the water, swimming around in front of me as though they were taking the p##,-- but can I catch em Oh no!!

Could it be my antifouling?

What type of boat do they like?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Outsmarted by an animal with a brain the size of a pea, eh?
    I don't get fish either.... yes they taste good, but I ain't spending all day holding a thread over the lake in the hope that one will bite it.
    According to the likes of Blackfin and Striker, what fish really like is a 60' battlewagon with twin 700 hp Cummins and a tri-band 5000' range sonar. I'm sure they could solve your fishboat woes for $2.2M or so ;)

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

If fuel is not your problem and large amount of revenge is in order then built a Trawler and install a dept sonar, you wont catch a whale but heh you proberly kill yourself eating sardine for the rest of the month.:)

Use a local 2 Thai boat with a cheap 3 cylinder Yanmar domping engine and a big net.

Cheers

4. sail-bob

sail-bob Junior Member

Don't fish at the boat!

Learn to throw far...the fish bits at the first 5 to 20 seconds - unless it's pike,
    they seem not care about the boat.

Fishing with a net is cheating...

Cheers

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

many people have this missconseption about fishing ,,,,that if I buy the same boat as them Ill catch as much fish as them,,,,,,catching fish is not about the boat ,,,,its about the man, look at those Vietnamies fisherman who use a can to wrap string on to fish with ,,,,,and then look at the guy who has 400dollar red 6 ot this is like saying if I have one of those volvo boats I can go faster than ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Are you saying that if you go trolling it's not the size of the boat it's the length of the lure?

7. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

Hello,There is an art to fishing and the way you fish depends on where your fishing. We fish the western basin of Lake Erie most of the time. Waleye is our prefered fish to catch. The water has cleared up so much that the boats scare the fish. While the boat is drifting we cast off the stern corners out away from the boat, let the bait drop to the bottom and slowly retrieve. This year most anybody can catch waleye as this has been a very good year. In the fall we fish yellow perch with minows. Lots of fun. The further east you go on the lake the deeper it gets and most of the fisherman troll with down riggers. That yelds larger fish. The baits vary from year to year. If they do charter boats in your area you might want to get a group of guys togeather and do a charter. A good charter captain will show you how to catch the fish if he's worth his salt. Most captains want to see you do good so you come back. I have fished since i was five years old and have come to realize it's more then just catching fish. The time I spent with my dad and my own son will always be remembered as some of the best times of my life. Now you know the story of fishing. Tom.

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

tja; what do you know about the big fish kill this summer? Ive been told at least 100000 lb washed up in sandusky,,,,,longliner,,,also told it was kept quit so as to not damage tourism...

9. im412

im412 Junior Member

i've banned kids from my boat...they always out fish me

10. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Boat and net

Size and net are proportional unless you are in Third world countries where these guys actually have smaller boat for rutine big catch. A pompom is 12 m and they usually have min 2 unit with medium net.

11. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

Longliner, From what i've heard it was from oxigen depletion in the water from fertilizer run off. the dead zone is about four feet in depth so they say. That's about all I know about it. Tom.

12. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:D Fish are why Mr. Nobel invebted dynomite.
    As lomg as the fuse is long enough it is a foolproof method.:D :D

13. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

i think what people do commercially is drug the fish,probably so they xcant move,puit them in the sea,and wait for them to reproduce,thats something like what they normally do AND DONT GO TRYIN IT

14. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Incantation

To catch fish you might cast a spell or utter an incantation to the bait & fish below, I saw a dood called Catweasel do it on tv " fish fish do not look, bite my hooook!" worked like "a charm" for him. Best of luck in the piscatorial pursuit & don't let the truth get in the way of a good fishing story. Regards from Jeff.;)

15. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I reckon only dumb people can catch fish. Whenever I go fishing I always seem to be surrounded by dumb people.

The bigger the fish they catch the dumber they are.

I think fish know when there's someone intelligent on the other end of the line and give it a big miss.

I'm too smart for fishing.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.