My '72 Airslot 24' project

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kraftzion, Feb 24, 2012.

  1. Kraftzion
    Joined: Jun 2010
    Posts: 11
    Likes: 2, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 20
    Location: Florida

    Kraftzion Junior Member

    I didn't start taking pictures until I was well into it, These are after taking out 350 and 72 stringer drive, floor removal, transom removal, patching the hole, Installing new transom, cutting holes for the arneson, among other things.

    A couple of questions-
    The recommended size thru hull for 454 raw water cooling?
    A source for exterior rated frp skin? The only source I've found is from Crane composites, relatively expensive, only color polar white which I would have to paint. Looking for a navy gray or therabouts color. If I have to paint it might as well use interior.
  2. gonzo
    Joined: Aug 2002
    Posts: 15,623
    Likes: 1,109, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 2031
    Location: Milwaukee, WI

    gonzo Senior Member

    What do you mean by frp skin?
  3. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 489, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    I'm sure he means Fiber Reinforced Plastic, which on his boat is a bit of a misnomer, as it's all 'glass (GRP).

    Groco, Perko and Vetus are the usual manufactures for these pieces and they come in plastic (easy to break) bronze and cast crap metal. They come in 1/2" up to 2" sizes and the size depends on the raw water pump you've got installed.


    The 454 usually takes this pump


    This one is the Sherwood E-35 and uses a 1" raw water strainer. A similar size Jabsco (#777-9001) unit also uses a 1" pickup.

    They don't come in different colors and are excepted to be left as is or painted. Bronze is the bullet proof way to go, but the most costly. ABS or PVC plastic are the cheapest, but they can break fairly easily.

  4. Kraftzion
    Joined: Jun 2010
    Posts: 11
    Likes: 2, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 20
    Location: Florida

    Kraftzion Junior Member

    That's the pump I have. So 1" I guess. Yes It means fiber reinforced plastic. It is used mostly for making rv's, refrigerated trucks, etc. Interior grades are used on commercial bathroom walls, schools, etc.I'm looking for an exterior grade gray. I'm going to reinforce the walls with plasticore and would rather glue a premade skin to the interior then have to lay it up.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.