MV Phoenix - Electric Lobsterboat

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by lockhughes, Apr 2, 2005.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Yeah, most of the big cruise ships have a few big diesel generators, and electrics on the props. The mermaid-pod engines on some of the newer ones are good for this- 360-degree azimuthing, can spin and slide a 100,000-ton ship in any direction. I think a lot of the advantage is the ability to run 1, 2, 3 or 4 engines while still using all props, so the engines are always running at their most efficient speed whether putterng along at 5 knots or cruising at 25. For a cruise ship that goes in and out of port every day this is quite good; for long voyages at constant speed, though, direct-drive is probably still the way to go for best efficiency.

2. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

It's good stuff, it is. But what about having a lot of small turbines under the hull, MAYBE, and use them to regenerate power from wave action perhpas.

3. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Yea good luck with that. :rolleyes:

4. mackid068

Efficient, my idea is not, costly, it is, but theoretically, it would work, in a sense, like a hybrid car, which uses braking to regenerate batteries. My idea would use wave action, another "thing that is just there." Braking is necessary, and wave action and the energy produced by pushing a boat thru water is going to be "there" whether you want it to or not!

5. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Yeah i geuse it would work in a wave tank somewhere in sweeden.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The most research on very affordable electric motors has been done on trolling motors .

Simply bolting a pair (or two) on the stern with as many batterys below as you desired range/

Twin screw , should do 4K-5K (for a while) and low cost.

Not elegant , but not expensive either.

To estimate the results just get someone to tow your engineless boat with a spring scale in the tow rope.

Somewhere between 50 and 100 lbs of tow line force will be replaceable with trolling motors.

Good Cruising,

FAST FRED

7. mackid068

Good thought. I like that idea. And Tech, nothing wrong with Sweden either! It's a hell of a nation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.