Moving Very Large Hull Sections

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Jul 27, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Oh, MAN! Another detail not apparent in Kurt's marketing. He's missing all the "catches" in the build method. No talk of the downsides like panel rotations or doing a biaxial mold. Hope the boat itself doesn't have this many hidden catches. I can't rotate a panel in my building and I can't take a hoist outside of the building while loaded. Guess that's going to be a new PITA when the time comes. In fact, I don't even have enough room on either side of my building right now to take a panel completely out.

Does your driveway/yard haven enough room to swing or do you have to go all the way out to the street to rotate it?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

chain hoists

This is good for moving & rolling big light stuff over, for the turn around of panels maybe just rebuild the simple mold opposite for the second two hull panels? In my shed I have 2 I beams set up with beam trolleys & 4 x 20' drop manual chain hoists- about 220 AUS x 4, quite cheap lifting & turning, I also have 2 x I beams running the length of the shed at extra cost that these cross beams can work the full length of the shed- makes the job "childs play" hope this helps & all the best from Jeff.
    PS: the trailer you can see is 11 Meters x 2.4 M(37' x 8') & cost about 3600 AUS in steel, axles, hitch, brakes & brakeaway system etc in material cost, the springs & axles rated to 3600kg, something like this could be good investment for you, the top is set up strait too so as to form the basis of a composites laminating table.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Hey Catbuilder, I don't think that is being fair to the designer. There will be builder related problems to solve with any build. It is the builder's responsibility to work these things out IMO.

I think it is unrealistic and inefficient to try and build such a project totally alone. Not that it can't be done, but a budget that includes some labor costs, even if it is for temporary grunt work is reasonable, IMO.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's in the reality the most efficient way, that is of course IMO :D
    Anyway a combination of tools like tripods with blocks, steel cable trolleys and wheel trolleys should do the trick..

5. CatBuilder

I disagree. If you are marketing a build method like Kurt or Kelsall or Oram duflex boats, claiming yours is the best, you ought to include a detailed, complete build process document to help builders decide if the method is right for them.

If all that was marketed was line drawings, I'd agree, but a lot more is marketed.

I like Kurt and his boats are, imo, the best you can get for the $. I think a little constructive criticism is something he could handle.

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Three strapping youngsters? I agree.

7. CatBuilder

I wanted to add that I do have a small labor budget. It's just very difficult to hire someone for 10 minutes, once or twice a day.

8. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Catbuilder, Today it hit me when I saw one of those pickup trucks with a side rack for carrying large glass panels...

I will work on it this weekend. If it works- I will post pics. If it doesnt- I won't mention it again:D

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Manual handling of awkward objects is asking for touble, for a small investment in equipment you can save plenty at the physio or chiropracter, employing large numbers on a voluntry basis opens a can of fat worms if one of them gets hurt. All the best with your build from Jeff.

10. CatBuilder

Wakikin:

Your setup is fantastic. I nearly rented a building with a full crane, but it wasn't right. I'm in a tent, so I don't have all those option with beams. Charly, can't wait to see!

Problem is solved for the same cost as a gantry crane. 4 people from a construction company close by have agreed to come by after work for 10 mins here and there.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Lift with the knees, not the back.

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Better yet, don't lift anything you can get a machine to lift.

13. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Catbuilder,

Try to picture this. I have used an I beam bolted to an A frame on bot ends. The A frames are mounted on swiveling casterwheels. On the I beam, I have attached commercial rollers so it can slide back and forth on the I beam. Attached to the roller (2 on beam) is a chain block. Using a flat web attached to the chain block, I was able to lift, move, swing, turnover, a small boat (half a ton). I used two of these for stabilty. Needed occasional help though.

The I beam is about 6" deep, 10 feet long, the rollers are rated 1 ton each, so are the chain blocks. the webbings are about 2" wide with finished loops on ends. The A frames is of 2" diameter pipe, welded. About 9 feet high. All of these are available on an industrial supplly store.

I will try to find the pictures and send it to you.

14. CatBuilder

Thank you, RxComposite.

I know what you are describing and I had looked at them as well. They are called Gantry Lifts here in the States. They are very useful in most cases, but I have a very strange situation.

I have a mold for my hull that is the entire length of my building. It is located in the center of the building and due to leveling concerns, cannot be easily moved.

If I place the gantry lift over the mold to pick up the 45' long x 8' wide panel, I am then stuck. I cannot wheel the lift through the mold to move the panel off the mold. Does that make sense? I can lift it, but then to move it would be impossible unless the Gantry Lift was 20ft wide or more, then I could slide it along the I beam.

For the same price as one 20ft wide Gantry Lift (I would have needed two), I was able to find some workers who will grab the ends (and middle) of the panel to move it.

15. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Catbuilder,

Yes, it is even available on hire basis and the price quadruples as the width doubles.

Well I guess "brawnpower" is still the best. It just needs a little per$uasion?

Cheers,

Rx

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.