Motor sailing catamaran rig design

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by cat girl, Sep 8, 2006.

1. cat girl

cat girl Junior Member

Thanks marshmat, so the force would be the sea? (or the wind?)
    And is the the distance from the axis, is that measured from a point on the hull (say the bow when beating into the wind) to say the point under the mast step?
    I think you are right, I need to go get a book.... :confused:

2. cat girl

cat girl Junior Member

Thankyou Brian, yes, I have been cruising around the site, found some interesting and useful tips too.

3. cat girl

cat girl Junior Member

Ha ha, I like it! The kiss theory.....
    Maybe you can tell me, what is the major difference when sailing a Cat, to sailing a monohull? I think the righting moment has a lot to do with this, but....would love to hear others views on the whys and hows...
    Is it way more important how the sail is managed on a cat?
    Particularly on the wind...?:?:
    What about weight :?:

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Cat Girl,

Board sailing teaches more about the relationship between standing rigging, wind power and the necessity to sheet out and sheet in when bearing away, than anything else I can think of. The strain on the body is a super learning curve when being whipped out of the foot straps and catapulted over the rig.:D

Seriously though, an appreciation of what rig is suitable for the sailing vessel is both intuitive and scientific. As for diferences between the types of boats, Cats are faster, either designed as displacement or planing. See http://runningtideyachts.com/archives/ for the reasons.

Cats are more stable and remain horizontal, so the cook can perform his tasks more effectively. The plates stay on the table at mealtimes. There's more room to stretch out. Mooring fees are generally based on length, so monohulls with matching accomodation are longer and cost more (UK). The list is almost endless and so are the preferences of those who venture on the ocean. You decide.;)

Pericles

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A simple concept is, monohulls reef (select sail power) for the lulls, multihulls reef for the puffs.

AN overpowered monohull (in a puff)will simply heel over a bit more , perhaps slowing down as the deck and cabin top are dragged thru the water, the over powered multihull may flip over , a far larger concern.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.